Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Skateboarding and BMX video

1. Default My Skateboarding and BMX video

Hey guys I havent been on here or edited much in a while but i recently put a few hours in on a new video of me and my friends around my town due to me recently getting injured and the onset of a cold season. I decided rather than to continue filming I would release a video now and start fresh in spring. I know my editing style is quite different from what you guys are probably used to and thats what alot of my friends like/and what I like doing. Anyway I thought Id post this to get some opinions from people who are more professional than me. Let me know what you think

You are using copyright protected music.
    I liked the 80s style but everything became a bit repetitive after 2:00. Cuts and variety of shots were generally fine but try to embrace it in some kind of story to keep attention high. At least show some shots of getting ready for the day, probably some prep work (no idea if you do some waxing for the grinds), having a snack and a closing shot of arriving home.

3. Default

You can see the shadow of the cameraman at 1:39 - but I do that all the time so it isn't a big deal

it seemed like you did the editing to fit the music - so you ended up with a nice music video - which is also fine

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I liked the 80s style but everything became a bit repetitive after 2:00. Cuts and variety of shots were generally fine but try to embrace it in some kind of story to keep attention high. At least show some shots of getting ready for the day, probably some prep work (no idea if you do some waxing for the grinds), having a snack and a closing shot of arriving home.
    I would agree about the story part if this was a smaller skate edit like filmed over one day. This was filmed over a year. There is no story to skate videos for the most part. The difficulty of the tricks and how they match the music is generally how everyone edits action sports videos. I was putting this up here to get more of an editors standpoint of my editing, it will definitely keep the interest of people who skate or bike themselves because they see the tricks and know the difficulty and think about whether it was done nicely and how hard it was. Obviously for someone who doesn't do these activies its going to get repetitive because it just looks like the same old stuff over and over. Also copyrighted music is used in like 99% of action sports videos. Thanks for the input though.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio Capellini View Post
    You can see the shadow of the cameraman at 1:39 - but I do that all the time so it isn't a big deal

it seemed like you did the editing to fit the music - so you ended up with a nice music video - which is also fine
    Yeah its so hard to avoid getting in the shot without having to film from some crappy angle and mess up the shot by paying attention to the shadow rather than what I'm filming and how I'm filming it.
    And editing to the music is my favorite part, making it seem as if the clips were meant for the music. Thanks!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    It also would have been a little less repetive in the beginning if I could have finished my part... But I broke my back and couldn't film nearly all the tricks I wanted to so I had to use ones from a while ago that aren't nearly up to par with my current skills. Trust me I'm disappointed in it too. But injuries ruin everything haha

Quote Originally Posted by emmausrider9 View Post
    I would agree about the story part if this was a smaller skate edit like filmed over one day.
    The filmed period doesn't matter. I have my own hobbies but can only watch compilations for a certain time. I stick to the ones that also grab me on a different level much longer.

This was filmed over a year.
    Then make it a story about the season. Show e.g. which clothes you get out of the cabinet, show how the locations change with the year. Use season typical decoration like e.g. pumpkins at Halloween as obstacles.

There is no story to skate videos for the most part. The difficulty of the tricks and how they match the music is generally how everyone edits action sports videos.
    So your excuse is "Because everybody does it"? Ask yourself if these are really the best videos. It's okay of you only want to showcase your skills but you are loosing a lot of the potential that making video really has. Nobody is going to watch the millionth video that is basically the same as each other one but they are going to watch something that is different.

Also copyrighted music is used in like 99% of action sports videos.
    Well it's not that I won't enjoy the music but it's a practical issue as the video is blocked in some countries and a legal issue as you are basically breaking copyright law.

But I broke my back and couldn't film nearly all the tricks I wanted to
    So THAT's some unique story you could have told about the season.

Blog Entries

I can only agree with Ray. The point about having some sort of narrative is it keeps the viewer interested - they should want to continue to watch to see what happens next or at the end. Otherwise it is just a collection of clips and, no matter how good the tricks are, it becomes repetitive. As Ray says, period doesn't matter, You can open with prep on the morning of a day in spring and finish with packing away at dusk in the winter thus showing progression throughout day and year.

But chronological isn't always the only way of showing things. Personally I'd like to see you progress from trying out a new trick to achieving it perfectly. You could do this with several tricks - several little mini-dramas within the overall film. One way of making this a bit more interesting is to show you completing the perfected trick, then showing your first failed/poor attempts and then progressing towards perfection. This can include lots of close ups of your face concentrating, your hands and board as you work out the tricks - I don't know, whatever you do to figure out how to do something. This will introduce the viewer with you, the person, and take him on a journey with you as you strive to perfect the trick. This is much more engaging than just watching some random person that we only see in wide shot performing trick after trick.

I know you said you wanted a editor's view. I imagine what you are after is how well it was matched to the music (OK) and how the FX worked (bad - more later), but to me editing is where your create the story (this may well be the story that was conceived by the writer and envisaged by the director and visualised by the cameraman but it is within the edit that the creative storytelling really begins. (This is not a new idea - indeed it was being expounded in the 1930's by Russian filmmaker Vsevolod Pudovkin (1893-1953) “ONCE more I repeat, that editing is the creative force of filmic reality, and that nature provides only the raw material with which it works. That, precisely, is the relationship between editing and the film.”

What about the FX - some OK but most were a distraction. What I mean by that is where you put fancy graphics into a shot of a boarder, the graphics take the viewers' attention, whereas it should be focused on the boarder. Im a video like this I'd save the fancy stuff for transitions. Think of motivation - what is the reason each shot? Adding flashing colours to a shot will not add exciement - indeed it may even serve to emphasise the dullness of the shot. What, for example, was the purpose of the fx at 18sec? It's the first time we see the boarder (you?) and you obscure yourself.

One FX that did work was the slowing down in the middle of a trick - this works to emphasize the trick.

The intro is far, far, far too long - especially for YouTube. You need to gram the viewers' attention immediately or they'll click away. Forget titles. The first shot should be some really exiting trick. Perhaps held to s still in mid-air over which you can put a quick title. Indeed maybe a whole series of these one for each rider, or one for each title, but you really need to get the content out there, up front.

The above is assuming you are attempting to make a film to be enjoyed, perhaps by a wider audience than the boarding fraternity. It does not apply if you are just trying to create a compilation of trick to be examined or judges on, in which case the tricks should be filmed absolutely neutrally with no editing other than cuts between different tricks.

Please note none of this is aimed at having a dig at what you have achieved - it is all meant with the intention of giving you some ideas as to how you can make better videos in the future. Good luck, and most of all, enjoy!
    Tim

Listen well to the advice given by Tim & Ray. They are right.

This piece is far too long to keep the average viewer interested.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Listen well to the advice given by Tim & Ray. They are right.

This piece is far too long to keep the average viewer interested.
    you're back!

i guess you missed us

FYI the "average viewer" boosts car stereos for a living and lives in a trailer down by the river - not sure if they even make it past the welcome page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast