Thread: Buying advice for a video editing software with good audio capabilities

Smile Buying advice for a video editing software with good audio capabilities

Hi!
    I need some buying advice for a decent home video editing software. Iíve got both recently filmed HD videos and older digitised, analogue home videos. What I want to do is cutting, colour correction, noise reduction, audio editing and restoration, burning, converting between different formats. I donít care much about fancy features such as multicam or social media sharing.

I've tried the previous version of Cyberlink PowerDirector and I particularly liked ColorDirector and AudioDirector, both included in the Ultimate Suite version. They seemed to offer more advanced and powerful editing tools than other consumer-targeted video editors Iíve tried.

However, the price tag is a bit high so I thought Iíd ask here if thereís anyone who can tell me whether Cyberlinks AudioDirector and ColorDirector really is better than what the corresponding tools of Adobe premiere Elements, Magix Movie Edit, Pinnacle Studio or Corel Videostudio, or for that matter any stand-alone free or commercial colour and/or audio editor can offer?

Thanks in advance.

at our Video club they always recommend Serif Movie plus to the newbies. haven't used it myself but have watched demonstrations and it seems feature packed and fairly straightforward to use.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

The post by TimS in this thread is still mostly valid. Note that according to reports Serif may not be continued. Also, Sony Movie Studio needs to be the Platinum version or better still the Suite which includes Sound Forge Audio Studio. Test with free trial versions of more than one app to get an idea of features and ease of use.
    Last edited by vkmast; 11-03-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the shout. vkmast, but I'd add that within the context of the title of the thread which mentions "good audio capabilities" then I believe Sony Movie Studio cannot be beaten (with or without Sound Forge Audio Studio) at this level. Up to 20 audio tracks, 20 digital audio FX, capability of accepting VFX plug ins. Fantastic. What could be better?
    Tim

5. Default

Sony Vegas and its related products all started as audio recording/editing tools and still handle audio wonderfully. I find Vegas to be superior to Pro Tools in almost every way for audio recording and mixing (though less so with recent versions of PT), and it is a fully fledged video editor as well. Sony Movie Studio operates essentially the same way as Vegas but with somewhat reduced features like limited audio track count.

As regards Sony/SCS options, I still recommend at least Movie Studio Platinum. Movie Studio (13 is the latest v.) is the basic stripped down version of the software and lacks too many features, even some the OP lists. See the comparison table.

Blog Entries

Thanks for clarifying vkmast. I should have made that clear. Absolutely agree.
    Tim