Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What effect is this? and how to crop like this?

1. Default What effect is this? and how to crop like this?

first question. a lot of hip hop videos i see have the crop on the top and bottom. Is it how they have their camera set while shooting, or is it done in post? and if its in post, is there a way to crop without losing footage off the top and bottom?

second question is the quick blur effect. maybe i just answered my own question. but you can see it sometimes with the multicolour splash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rFN...ature=youtu.be

dont mind the ignorant music.

2. Default

I don't know about the blur, didn't watch long enough. But cropping is simple. Use the crop function in your editor. I don't understand how you think one could crop an image without losing what you crop out. That's what cropping does. Or are you talking about letterboxing? What do you mean by "footage"? I get the feeling you're using these words (footage, crop) differently than everybody else.

3. Default

Im not using footage like everyone else?

foot·age
    ˈfo͝odij/
    noun
    a length of film made for movies or television.
    "film footage of the riot"

And yes I do mean letter boxing. Thank you. When i apply the letterbox part of my "footage" (video) gets cropped. Do I have to film with this in mind or am I "cropping" it incorrectly. I have a Letterbox plugin but it still crops the video

4. Default

Right, footage means time and/or some given length of film or tape e.g. "two hours of footage". It doesn't refer to the dimensions of the frame. If you crop your video you're not losing footage, you're losing some of the image or frame. That's inevitable because that's what cropping is. If you camera doesn't have a super wide screen setting that gets the result you want directly you'll have to shoot with your end result in mind, framing your shot so that when it's cropped you don't lose anything critical.

What is the aspect ratio of your source video? What is the desired aspect ratio of the image portion of your frame? What is the desired aspect ratio of the full frame, including the image and letterboxing?

5. Default

ah ok i see. the source is 1920x1080. I am trying to have it look like widescreen footage with the black bars on top and bottom. I guess i just have to keep in mind while Im shooting that it will be cropped in post

6. Default

figured it out. I actually have a .r3d file from a friend to play with. After changing the project properties to 1920x1080 I have the desired look.

So the hip hop videos ive seen with this are just converted down to 1920x1080 which leaves the cropping on the top and bottom. thanks for your quick responses and pardon my snarky-ness when i posted the definition of "footage"

7. Default

Glad it's working out. Note that pixel dimensions and aspect ratio aren't necessarily the same. Pixels themselves can have aspect ratio which adds another dimension (heh) to determining the overall aspect ratio. Typical video aspect ratios are 4:3 for old fashioned video and 16:9 for modern "regular" widescreen.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Freshfrom613 View Post
    figured it out. I actually have a .r3d file from a friend to play with. After changing the project properties to 1920x1080 I have the desired look.

So the hip hop videos ive seen with this are just converted down to 1920x1080 which leaves the cropping on the top and bottom. thanks for your quick responses and pardon my snarky-ness when i posted the definition of "footage"
    A lot of the hip hop videos use pretty extreme aspect ratios. Don't forget you can set key frames and/or recompense your shots that have been letterboxed

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Redden View Post
    A lot of the hip hop videos use pretty extreme aspect ratios. Don't forget you can set key frames and/or recompense your shots that have been letterboxed

when you say set key frames, what exactly do you mean. what kind of key frames? and the extreme aspect ratios they use is done in post? I am fairly new to this still please bear with me. also how would i recompense my shots after i letterbox them?
    i have been wondering how to do this stuff if you could help me that would be awesome!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Freshfrom613 View Post
    when you say set key frames, what exactly do you mean. what kind of key frames? and the extreme aspect ratios they use is done in post? I am fairly new to this still please bear with me. also how would i recompense my shots after i letterbox them?
    i have been wondering how to do this stuff if you could help me that would be awesome!
    I had a typo in my previous post. Recompense should have been recompose. When you do your letterboxing in post you can set key frames in the transform/position properties. In Premiere this is under the effects control tab. You just adjust the position, set the key frame, move to the next spot that needs an adjustment, make a new key frame and so forth. This allows you to reframe the shot as needed to ensure you keep what you want within the aspect ratio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast