Thread: Careers in bbc!

Default Careers in bbc!

This probs sound a bit stupid but: in 1 yrs time i wil be making my GCSE choises and would like to edit/film movies/programs in the BBC. I have looked at the Careers section of the BBC but didnt say quallifocations I.E gcse choices i need! if some one knows or works for BBC plz help cheers
    Luke.Drummond

I was talking to Greg Dyke the other day - no, honestly (well, it was a year or so ago actually. He and I played football together at university) - about a similar topic. If I translate what he said to me, by far and away the best thing you can do is to find either a broadcaster or a production company and go and work for them (for free) every hour God sends. That's more likely than the right choice of GCSEs to get you where you want to be. Yes, you'll be making the tea and sweeping the floor - but you'll get to observe and, if you're lucky, someone will take you under their wing. Other than that, I'd have thought the key things would be media studies (obviously), art - and after that, subjects that will make you a broader person capable of understanding not only the big picture (pun intended) but all the details: subjects like business studies, politics, English, history, geography - a film maker or editor, I would think, would need to be as well-rounded as possible. IT would probably also be useful. Note: the above are just educated guesses, for what they're worth, and perhaps no different to what your careers teacher would tell you. Good luck.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

cheers ian

Firstly of all the UK broadcasters to work for the BBC is probably the worst to work for and hardest to break into. Ian is exactly right and its what I did.

After Uni I worked for free at a Post Production company and got some prefessional training as an editor. I worked in a pub at the same time just to get some money. I only got this training by writing over 250 letters to diff production companies around london and only had 2 positive replies.

While I was there I met some guys i did a job for and we really got along well - they then (several months later decided to start their own post suite and offered me a job. People say that the media industry is all about who you know and being in the right place at the right time - It is true, most of the time it's pure luck - especially when you are starting out. It doesn't really matter if you are the best editor out there if you dont get along with people you wont get work. That was 4 1/2 years ago. Now I am a freelancer.

Eventually that is where you wanna be -you make far more working as a freelancer.

I dont want to dampen your hopes but it is a harsh industry but if you want it dont give up - keep at it.

dnt worry...aT THE MOMENT ITS JUST a idea! i will prbs end up doing lighting at a therter!