Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we just delete them?

Blog Entries

Default Should we just delete them?

I've been a moderator of this forum for many a year. Like all forums we get spam, which is generally picked up and deleted (and the user and user's IP address banned) within hours thanks to those of you who click the button to bring them to our attention. On behalf of all moderators I thank you for doing so.
    We also get a number of people who post here offering "professional" advice who are really just massaging their own egos and when the advice is poor it is usually highlighted so they go away and pester some other unsuspecting forum. Other than that most people who use the forum, either regulars or those coming here with a particular query, offer appropriate peer to peer advice.

However, since the forum has been reorganised to emphasise the fact that it is for people who make films as a hobby and wish to improve, there seems to have been an increasing number of people posting in the "just for fun" section, compilations of YouTube videos. I understand that they are not posting in "User Videos" and are therefore not claiming it is their own work, but my gut reaction is that this is not really what the forum is about. That section is, to my mind, a place where people interested in making their own videos might post something about which they are aware of the faults, but think others might be interested anyway (eg "family" holiday videos) OR videos by others that they think other forum users might find useful or interesting (tutorials, interviews with directors/editors/cameramen)

So, my question to you all is ... When a we receive a post in "just for fun" from a new (or newish) poster, that is just a compilation of clips from several other people with no real merit other than it might be funny to one or two people, should we simply delete it???? Or are there some here who enjoy them?
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-24-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    Tim

Delete.

And add a section on the forum covering 'sound.'
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    And add a section on the forum covering 'sound.'
    I think that would go against the concept of film making being multi-discipline. We don't have separate sections for video, writing, lighting or editing, for example.
    Tim

i pondered this a while. i was going to say delete them. but if they are in the just for fun section ... is there any real harm ? ive been known to post such videos in that section .... maybe ill think twice in future

one post wonders asking for a review of their latest video are different matter
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Delete.

If we want to attract enthusiasts, then we need to show that we're not just another "youtube promo" site. If "regulars" or anyone with more than 50 posts, posts a compilation, then that's obviously different, but anyone with less than 50 who is just using this forum to get youtube views and is not interested in us, or videomaking per se.... delete.

I think having too many sub forums will end up with too little participation in each one

Instead, what about the moderator setting a monthly challenge like we used to do with a focus on a particular aspect - like sound

Blog Entries

OK So it's hardly overwhelming and I'd love some input from other mods, but on the basis of what I've read here, I'm going o take a much harsher view.
    Tim

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK So it's hardly overwhelming and I'd love some input from other mods, but on the basis of what I've read here, I'm going o take a much harsher view.
    I'm shocked!

9. Default

Delete. I get all the supposedly amusing videos I'll ever need from Facebook. If it isn't directly related to (made by) the poster I don't see the use.

What, no sound forum? I suppose there are enough audio-specific forums around to cover most general questions and anything specific to video could be handled here in an existing forum.

Blog Entries

In the past we had forums for just about everything. Sound, lighting, grip, SD, HD tape, digital, LBGT, Chelsea supporters, you name it, there was a section for it.

It became a bit of a nightmare keeping up. Visiting different forums to see what (if anything) was new. Some forums only had a post every month, at most and consequently got ignored completely. Others tended to be dominated by one person and others didn't get a look in.

In the simplified forum, you just visit "How do I do this?" and everything is in a nice neat pigeon-hole, a sort of "one stop shop".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast