Thread: Best run and gun type of camera for under 1k?

1. Default Best run and gun type of camera for under 1k?

I want a compact or dslr type camera for mostly handheld video shooting. I am just looking for something with good built in body stabilization and good HD video. I am not interested in 4K right now. I am currently looking at the Olympus E-M5 II and Sony A77 II.Which would you recommend or is there better options?

Thanks,

Blog Entries

I would think for run & gun you want more of a traditional camcorder style. Panasonix HC-X920, Canon XA-10 (or better - XA20/25), Sony CX900E
    Tim

3. Default

Canon xa10 for sure - but in Canada it costs more than 1k

Sony HX 90 by far the best compact I've owned.

Ticks all the boxes For what you request including great stabilisation in movie mode.
    capability to record in XAVCS, 50fps at 50 Mbps. Obviously You'll need compatible memory cards and your hard drives clog up even more rapidly with captured footage at XAVCS setting.
    Has a 30 x optical zoom lens with various stabilisation options and in an ultra compact body ... Easily slips in a pocket .. If required.
    I've had mine since June and absolutely love it.
    Last edited by enc; 10-22-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

5. Default

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking more into a mirrorless camera for the portability. I really like the Olympus because of it's in built body stabilization making hand held shots usable without a stabilizing rig but the Olympus suffers from subpar video quality and aliasing/moire. Should I go with a Panasonic with a optically stabilized lens or the Olympus?

what did you choose ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933