Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this music vid rough cut?

Default What do you think about this music vid rough cut?

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...932/499bf1a236

I went for a super-frenetic cut. Needs more grading, some edit changes etc... but what do you think of the overall style of the cut? Does it work?

I've also been wanting to edit one of these 'styles' of music vids for a very long time and am just concerned that it doesn't work...

What do you think?
    Last edited by gorillaonabike; 10-15-2015 at 09:57 PM.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

It doesn't work and I think you know that but you want to know why.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion.

I think the cuts are fine and the style of the cuts goes well with the music but the shots (all of which are good shots - I'm not criticizing the camerawork or the composition) are wrong for the song.
    The images portray a very attractive (IMO) woman (as opposed to girl), with slightly hippy tendencies (the dancing and bare feet) juxtaposed with iconic views of the capital - which works quite well.
    It just doesn't fit the song. We see a woman, but hear a girl.

I'd envisage shots of her singing with musos in a studio/rehearsal rooms cut in much the same way. Or solo against some quirky backgrounds.

I'm exaggerating here but it's a bit like we're seeing someone who's a bit "mumsy" trying to be "quirky". Put her in the right environment and I'm sure it would come over far more authentically.
    Tim

i watched it but couldnt put my finger on why it didnt work for me. i then read Tims comments and he hits the nail on the head.

the song is quite raw sounding ...or least wise the recording of the guitars is... it just doesnt work with the surroundings... as tim points out, it would be better suited to a studio setting featuring her backing band.

its a shame because you captured some very good footage and the singer puts in a good performance
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

4. Default

I think Tim and enc both nailed it. Your edit is good and your footage is gorgeous (blackmagic?). But it's almost too clean against the rawness of the guitars in the song. I once had a similar situation in a hip hop video and was able to "roughen up the edit" by using some of Rampant Media's free light leaks, frame burns, and matte transitions over most of the cuts. It made everything feel more chaotic without actually changing much. Trying that may help bring more of the artist's "quirkiness" out.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Michael_Redden; 10-13-2015 at 02:06 AM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...932/499bf1a236
    Password: Camilla

I went for a super-frenetic cut. Needs more grading, some edit changes etc... but what do you think of the overall style of the cut? Does it work?

I've also been wanting to edit one of these 'styles' of music vids for a very long time and am just concerned that it doesn't work...

What do you think?
    Okay, I did some looking on my YouTube channel and was lucky enough to have archived the music video I mentioned in my previous post as it looked in it's different states of completion.

First off, I'll warn you the video is a bit raunchy (standard hip hop fare) but it suffered from the same sort of "something's missing/does it work" issue as yours (IMO).

The first link is without the Rampant light leaks, flares, and transitions. The video is wayyy too clean and calm for the song and it doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/B1xizU8GekU

The second link is with everything added over all of the cuts. It feels more chaotic and energetic even though not much has really changed.

https://youtu.be/He1phzEHehw

I think you've got a great video that just needs a little spark and it'll work for the song like you want it to. Hopefully my enthusiasm to help doesn't come across as being overcritical or trying to hijack your post, or even insisting you try something my way. I'm just showing an example of something that saved me in a similar situation.

Michael Redden

I think the element that doesn't work is the vid is too frenetic. Frenetic song, frenetic singer, frenetic vid - it's all too much and cool goes out the window. I want to calm the footage down but still keep the uptempo feel so maybe use a few flares etc...

And thanks for the comment about the gorgeous footage - it's a DSLR. All DSLRs are much of a muchness for me and I could've got that from anything which can achieve a shallow DoF. As an aside, I always get really frustrated on forums where someone asks 'what camera?' Any camera - an iPhone will get incredible footage.

7. Default

I think the element that doesn't work is the vid is too frenetic. Frenetic song, frenetic singer, frenetic vid - it's all too much and cool goes out the window. I want to calm the footage down but still keep the uptempo feel so maybe use a few flares etc...

And thanks for the comment about the gorgeous footage - it's a DSLR. All DSLRs are much of a muchness for me and I could've got that from anything which can achieve a shallow DoF. As an aside, I always get really frustrated on forums where someone asks 'what camera?' Any camera - an iPhone will get incredible footage.
    I agree with you regarding quality although I was asking if it was BMD out of curiosity rather than gear junkie fanboy naivete lol. I like to try train my eye for the look certain sensors have.

Apologies, gave the wrong impression. I can see you know your stuff and know how to use a camera. It was more of an off-the-cuff comment as I was reading other comments on this forum.

Incidentally, thought about it a bit more and think the comments are good, although my solution is different. Specifically, the girl / woman thing Tim mentions. I think the edit is too young / girly so have beefed it up a bit. Made it a slightly older-looking edit and think that might help a little.

9. Default

Apologies, gave the wrong impression. I can see you know your stuff and know how to use a camera. It was more of an off-the-cuff comment as I was reading other comments on this forum.

Incidentally, thought about it a bit more and think the comments are good, although my solution is different. Specifically, the girl / woman thing Tim mentions. I think the edit is too young / girly so have beefed it up a bit. Made it a slightly older-looking edit and think that might help a little.
    Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all so no worries. I actually agree with you. A lot of people do fall into that trap of thinking quality work can only come from specific gear, which we all know isn't the case. Shane Hurlbut with a T2i could outshoot a knucklehead with a Red any day of the week lol.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue with your video though and I'd love to see what you've done with it because what I saw yesterday looked great. Definitely keep us updated on it.

Client came back on the changes. She loves it! She wants a few shots swapped out / in but generally very happy and wants to shoot another! Happy!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast