Thread: Beginner questions about copyright violation on using fan made trailers.

Default Beginner questions about copyright violation on using fan made trailers.

Hi there,

So I know this is a pretty novice question but I was curious about posting fan made trailers on my own personal website/portfolio and if it is even legal or not. For the most part I am a freelance 3D Artist but recently have been thinking about working on my video editing skills and having a separate tab on my website to showcase some some work in video editing.

I know this website is advertised as film and editing for fun, but I figured a few people might know the answer I'm looking for. So is it legal to make fan made trailers of movies/video games and put them on your website to demonstrate skills as a video editor? I've been looking into it, and I think the answer may be leaning on no, but I'm not sure. Obviously I would have a disclaimer at the end explaining my part as only video editing and everything else is is copyrighted by the appropriate owners of the material.

Also, if it is legal is this something that would be looked down upon with employers? If so I'm just kind of wondering how people started building up portfolio work if they are in this industry. Do they just film and edit their own videos from small personal projects, or is is alright for them to use other resources not of your own work, but just to showcase your skill within the craft.

Quote Originally Posted by wscottcgi View Post
    Hi there,

So I know this is a pretty novice question but I was curious about posting fan made trailers on my own personal website/portfolio and if it is even legal or not. For the most part I am a freelance 3D Artist but recently have been thinking about working on my video editing skills and having a separate tab on my website to showcase some some work in video editing.

I know this website is advertised as film and editing for fun, but I figured a few people might know the answer I'm looking for. So is it legal to make fan made trailers of movies/video games and put them on your website to demonstrate skills as a video editor? I've been looking into it, and I think the answer may be leaning on no, but I'm not sure. Obviously I would have a disclaimer at the end explaining my part as only video editing and everything else is is copyrighted by the appropriate owners of the material.

Also, if it is legal is this something that would be looked down upon with employers? If so I'm just kind of wondering how people started building up portfolio work if they are in this industry. Do they just film and edit their own videos from small personal projects, or is is alright for them to use other resources not of your own work, but just to showcase your skill within the craft.
    ........no

Blog Entries

Is it legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    ........no
    Zam has given you the short answer.

However there are sites around which allow you to use their video in projects.The same goes for music. This is known as Royalty Free footage/video/music or Stock Footage so that's what you need to search for.. The principle is you buy the non-exclusive right to use it. When I say "buy" this doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay, many sites offer this for free.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Is it legal?

Zam has given you the short answer.

However there are sites around which allow you to use their video in projects.The same goes for music. This is known as Royalty Free footage/video/music or Stock Footage so that's what you need to search for.. The principle is you buy the non-exclusive right to use it. When I say "buy" this doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay, many sites offer this for free.
    Tim gave you the stock answer.

However if you take a look at your phone, you will see that it has at least one HD camera, if not two.

There is an amazing Michael Bay film called "welcome to yesterday" which was filmed entirely on his iPhone 4s - check it out on Netflix

Just record some damned footage!!!

Thanks for the heads up! It's pretty much what I thought. Also, yea I'll check out that movie. Just got a new android around a month ago, 20 megapixels so it's pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Tim gave you the stock answer.

However if you take a look at your phone, you will see that it has at least one HD camera, if not two.

There is an amazing Michael Bay film called "welcome to yesterday" which was filmed entirely on his iPhone 4s - check it out on Netflix

Just record some damned footage!!!
    I was lucky to get a little time with an Oscar nominated DoP at a film fest (we both had something in the fest). He said what everyone says here - he could shoot a movie on an iPhone.

The results he managed to get from a DSLR were beyond incredible. Just stunning. Absolutely inspirational.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen