Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 2015 Cinematography Reel

1. Default My 2015 Cinematography Reel

Hey everyone, relatively new to the forum and love some of the work I'm getting to check out from everyone here. I just finished my demo reel for this year and would love some constructive criticism on it. I wanted to try something different and work dialogue from previous projects into the montage. I've gotten mixed responses regarding it. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/Ektrj-uLYfA

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Michael_Redden; 10-07-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I never know how to comment on showreels. It's not clear to me what they are supposed to demonstrate beyond basic camera skills and maybe grading.

I do wonder if i was looking to hire a camera op, DoP or editor whether a showreel could tell me anything - unless all the clips are shot/edited in the same way and I wanted someone who who shoots edits in that style.

But this seemed fine.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, TimStannard. I agree with you. Most showreels really only display the ability to edit a montage, some composition, and maybe grading. Unfortunately it's much easier for me to get clients to look at a 2 minute reel versus a dozen links to past projects so it ends up being one of those things you have to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Redden View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out, TimStannard. I agree with you. Most showreels really only display the ability to edit a montage, some composition, and maybe grading. Unfortunately it's much easier for me to get clients to look at a 2 minute reel versus a dozen links to past projects so it ends up being one of those things you have to do.
    So it must be a really touch call editing it as you're never sure exacttly what you are trying to showcase - or do you make a different reel for each client (!)
    Tim

5. Default

Exactly, I used to do more client tailored reels in the past but it got to be a bit of a headache because they'd have such odd requests. "Only FS100 footage", "Only slow motion", "Warm, happy Canon footage", "Shaky Paul Greengrass style" etc. So now, I'm trying more of a blanket type reel for camera op/ editing and then I'll do a separate one for motion graphics and compositing. I'm definitely open to any suggestions you have for how you do yours.

Hi
    I really like the first scene, this one could be a little bit longer
    But by the way, you did great work

Roman

7. Default

Thanks, Roman Peherstorfer.

8. Default

Hey man I just watched the video and I thought visually it looked great. The synchronization of the clips to the music fit well and the music was surprisingly a good fit for the reel of clips. I don't normally watch a lot of reels so I'm not sure how to be entirely too constructive. I will say it was a little hard to follow because it is a reel. Though it was a bunch of random footage from things you've shot in the past, I think they all kind of came together in a way towards the end. Only thing I can say for sure is I didn't like how you couldn't hear any of the dialogue in like the first minute of the video and then a little later on you could hear some of the dialogue from two of the clips at like a minute and a half. I think it should either be all muted or all the clips that you could see have dialogue, we should've been able to hear what they were saying. Great reel though.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Limitles3 View Post
    Hey man I just watched the video and I thought visually it looked great. The synchronization of the clips to the music fit well and the music was surprisingly a good fit for the reel of clips. I don't normally watch a lot of reels so I'm not sure how to be entirely too constructive. I will say it was a little hard to follow because it is a reel. Though it was a bunch of random footage from things you've shot in the past, I think they all kind of came together in a way towards the end. Only thing I can say for sure is I didn't like how you couldn't hear any of the dialogue in like the first minute of the video and then a little later on you could hear some of the dialogue from two of the clips at like a minute and a half. I think it should either be all muted or all the clips that you could see have dialogue, we should've been able to hear what they were saying. Great reel though.
    Thanks, Limitless! I've been getting mixed responses regarding the inclusion of dialogue in there. I remember a while back seeing a fan montage someone did for David Fincher where they tried to weave some sound and dialogue into it and I always thought it would be a cool to try it with a show reel. I think you're right though. They should have all been one way or the other rather than on the fence like I did.

Now I'm very new to this whole world ( editing/directing/cinamatography) but I was very impressed by your reel.i thought everything moved well with the song and it seemed to show some diverse film making. You clearly have some skills. Personally I would add any dialogue,I think it would be distracting but again I know next to nothing. Hope it brings you lots of work.
    rock on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast