Thread: How to open .MOV video (iPhone 6 video) in Sony Vegas Pro?

Question How to open .MOV video (iPhone 6 video) in Sony Vegas Pro?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to find a solution for this for a few days now, but nothing has worked. I shot a video with my iPhone 6 plus and it is 1920 x 1080, 60FPS. The problem is, that its the .MOV format, which I can't open (therefore not even edit) in Sony Vegas Pro 13. It says i need a Quicktime to open it, so I downloaded it but still nothing works.
    Anyway I've found a possible solution, which is converting the .MOV video to some more friendly format, such as MP4 or .avi. But then comes another problem, the FPS seem to get reduced to half, which makes my beautiful 60 FPS video go to not so awesome 30 FPS. Guys, please, is there any way to open the videos from iPhone in Sony Vegas without loosing FPS and quality?

I don't know which program you use to convert your files to MP4 but most programs will have settings to adjust the FPS. I have always been recommended to use Handbrake by others and would like to extend that recommendation to you as well (if you wonder why I say "always" that's because I didn't listen the first dozen times and kept asking the same question until I was sure ).
    The cats are watching us...

This will surely help to get .mov files Easyfab work well in Sony Vegas Pro. Sony Vegas Pro does not accept Mov because MOV is a container instead of a codec. This will help you to convert MOV to Sony Vegas compatible WMV or MPG files.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nav View Post
    Sony Vegas Pro does not accept Mov
    Please, please ignore the above statement. It is not only ignorant it is false.
    Some of the rest of it is correct - MOV is indeed a container, not a codec, but if you cannot import a MOV file, it is because you cannot import that codec, and nothing to do with MOV files per se.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Nav View Post
    Sony Vegas Pro does not accept Mov.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Please, please ignore the above statement. It is not only ignorant it is false.
    +1
    Very much ignored.

As per Sony Vegas website MOV is written clearly as one of the supported video format, which will confuse some users. But in practice some users find that some of the MOVs they try to import into Sony Vegas are refused by Sony Vegas.

That's because MOV is a container format which means one MOV file can contain one or multiple video, audio or text tracks, simply put, MOV can have many different types and Sony Vegas can only support some versions.

Here is a solution to help you import MOV into Sony Vegas successfully - Convert MOV to Sony Vegas supported formats with Faasoft MOV to Sony Vegas Converter.

It also enables you to import almost all kinds of video and audio files into sony vegas.

Hope it is what you are looking for.

The related (general) SCS Knowledgebase info

Quote:
    "- - - If there are licensing issues with a certain codec or format, then we are not able to support it.
    However, here are a couple options you could try that may allow you to open and edit the media on the timeline.

You can transcode the file to a supported video format using a third-party utility.

(NOTE: Sony Creative Software does not endorse any particular utility.)
    You can install the appropriate codec(s) if you know which ones are required.
    (NOTE: Separately installed codecs may or may not function with our software. Any software or codecs you install are at your own risk.)"
    The free MediaInfo.
    Last edited by vkmast; 12-31-2015 at 10:18 AM.

HAd this problem many times with Sony Vegas. As has been said just convert the file to something that Vegas recognises. Lot of different programs out there you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by OtasekCzech View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been trying to find a solution for this for a few days now, but nothing has worked. I shot a video with my iPhone 6 plus and it is 1920 x 1080, 60FPS. The problem is, that its the .MOV format, which I can't open (therefore not even edit) in Sony Vegas Pro 13. It says i need a Quicktime to open it, so I downloaded it but still nothing works.
    Anyway I've found a possible solution, which is converting the .MOV video to some more friendly format, such as MP4 or .avi. But then comes another problem, the FPS seem to get reduced to half, which makes my beautiful 60 FPS video go to not so awesome 30 FPS. Guys, please, is there any way to open the videos from iPhone in Sony Vegas without loosing FPS and quality?