Thread: How to make small scale model look full scale

1. Default How to make small scale model look full scale

I have a model tank and I want to take footage of it coming over a little dirt hill I made with a green screen in the background. How do I make the model tank look full scale? Is there a special lens I should use or camera trick I can use to make it look believable? I know in the original Star Wars they pulled off this trick.

One thing you could do is slightly blur out the details and filming with a very shallow depth of field also helps. In all honesty though the best result will depend on the detail quality of the model and scale proportions of the surroundings. For example to simulate a tank driving through a desert you will need very fine powder instead of sand because the sand grains are likely to show up because they are comparatively huge. An other tricky part is the way that physics affect the environment because that is sometimes different on a small scale.
    There's a guy called Michael Paul Smith that uses models extensively. You might want to check out his work and an article about his work. Because of the way he sets up his scenes he will actually benefit from a deep depth of field by the way.
    The cats are watching us...