Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanting to shoot video for my business. Any recommendations

1. Default wanting to shoot video for my business. Any recommendations

So Im wanting to shoot a video similar to this for my business...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KHqZAgqm8A

What sort of Camera and editing soft wear would I need?
    Can iMovie do all the editing I would need?

Anyways any help would be great thanks so much!

Blog Entries

Do you want to become a professional film maker?
    Do you want to take up videography as a hobby?

If the answer to the above is no, then get a professional to do it. It will be a lot cheaper.

If the answer to either is yes, then tell us more about the types of film you want to make,.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Do you want to become a professional film maker?
    Do you want to take up videography as a hobby?

If the answer to the above is no, then get a professional to do it. It will be a lot cheaper.

If the answer to either is yes, then tell us more about the types of film you want to make,.
    I do want to be able to create videos of the quality as I showed in the example!
    See my goal with this business is to be putting out allot of content on a regular videos such as Video Q n A, as well as videos such as the one above offering tips on buying merchandise. So I think its a skill I should learn.

I am willing to spend up to $800 on equipment if thats what it takes. Given this information do you think this is do able or am I stepping so far out of my league that I should get someone else to do it?

Blog Entries

I'm sure you could match that video, but remember you will also need to ensure your computer is up to it. You'll need to invest in editing software. Really you need a decent mic or indeed any mic that can get close to the subject (The example sound like it was record on the camera's mic and although the camera is clearly close to the subject there is still an intrusive amount of background noise).
    Any camcorder nowadays would be able to produce footage of that quality (this looked a bit soft focus to me) - it's really all about making good use of available light.
    So, yes, you can do it for that price - but you'll need to invest more than a little time in it.

But it's a great hobby and I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment out of it - even if it is primarily for business purposes.

You might also consider a tripod or other stabilisation.

And at least one person here would suggest you try it out on an iPhone first. This can give excellent results - even sound isn't bad.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm sure you could match that video, but remember you will also need to ensure your computer is up to it. You'll need to invest in editing software. Really you need a decent mic or indeed any mic that can get close to the subject (The example sound like it was record on the camera's mic and although the camera is clearly close to the subject there is still an intrusive amount of background noise).
    Any camcorder nowadays would be able to produce footage of that quality (this looked a bit soft focus to me) - it's really all about making good use of available light.
    So, yes, you can do it for that price - but you'll need to invest more than a little time in it.

But it's a great hobby and I'm sure you'll get much enjoyment out of it - even if it is primarily for business purposes.

You might also consider a tripod or other stabilisation.

And at least one person here would suggest you try it out on an iPhone first. This can give excellent results - even sound isn't bad.

Thanks a bunch!
    I have a mac book pro that I use for pretty high level sound production.
    As for soft wear, is iMovie good enough or should I invest in something greater?

First off I would like to point out that the video link you provided is a great example of terrible film making.
    The quality is bad, as well as the actual film work.

So like TimStannard already said you will likely have no trouble replicating that and yes iMovie should be sufficient to edit if you set the bar that low.
    If you already have an iPhone I too would suggest using that in combination with something like a tripod, especially since you plan to edit on Apple hardware as well.
    If you want a little more control there are literally hundreds of cheap low end camcorders available that will be able to produce a better quality than that video link you posted as an example.

Is the video you want to shoot for your own business or do you want to shoot video as a business?
    If it is the first you are better off spending the $800 to hire a professional or even a semi-professional and they will be able to get you a video that greatly surpasses your example.
    If it is the latter I would personally:
    •start with getting a DSLR that shoots 30FPS HD (preferably one by a brand that has a lot of affordable lens options as well like Nikon or Cannon)
    •get a zoom lens and a prime lens with < f 2.0 for low light conditions
    •get a good tripod (not a $15 one)
    •get(or build) a decent desktop for NLE editing
    •spend a lot of time practising with your equipment
    •learn to use a more professional software program (like Adobe Premiere/After effects, Sony Vegas, Blender or Avid to name a few)
    The cats are watching us...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    First off I would like to point out that the video link you provided is a great example of terrible film making.
    The quality is bad, as well as the actual film work.

So like TimStannard already said you will likely have no trouble replicating that and yes iMovie should be sufficient to edit if you set the bar that low.
    If you already have an iPhone I too would suggest using that in combination with something like a tripod, especially since you plan to edit on Apple hardware as well.
    If you want a little more control there are literally hundreds of cheap low end camcorders available that will be able to produce a better quality than that video link you posted as an example.

Is the video you want to shoot for your own business or do you want to shoot video as a business?
    If it is the first you are better off spending the $800 to hire a professional or even a semi-professional and they will be able to get you a video that greatly surpasses your example.
    If it is the latter I would personally:
    •start with getting a DSLR that shoots 30FPS HD (preferably one by a brand that has a lot of affordable lens options as well like Nikon or Cannon)
    •get a zoom lens and a prime lens with < f 2.0 for low light conditions
    •get a good tripod (not a $15 one)
    •get(or build) a decent desktop for NLE editing
    •spend a lot of time practising with your equipment
    •learn to use a more professional software program (like Adobe Premiere/After effects, Sony Vegas, Blender or Avid to name a few)
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

To clear it up, I am not wanting to become a film maker as a profession!
    I am wanting to create videos like the one shown above (although considered to be bad film making) .
    However I would rather lean to do it myself and not hire professionals as I definitely want to be putting out videos very frequently (perhaps 1 per week)

I do not want to get into making things that will require allot of editing and skills which may take years to master as I want to be putting out allot of content.

You will additionally need some kind of (on camera LED) light for inside shots. Make a dummy video, give us a link and we will rip it apart for you.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    You will additionally need some kind of (on camera LED) light for inside shots. Make a dummy video, give us a link and we will rip it apart for you.
    Ok cool.... So is this something I should look to be built into the camera itself? Or I buy it separately?

Separately will give most flexibility. Especially if you actually do use a smartphone. Lights can come very cheap as well. For your first needs you won't need to go over $50, perhaps a diffused pocket torchlight will even do the trick if the beam is wide enough.
    The cats are watching us...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast