Thread: Humdinger

Default Humdinger

On friday (18th) our video club secretary put out an email to club members on behalf of a local cycle club asking if we could shoot a cyclocross event they were hosting on sunday (20th). it was to short a notice to arrange anything within the club, but i nipped down to the event for a couple of hours in the afternoon. i captured about 45 mins of footage, edited and uploaded this short piece by Sunday evening .... this is an absolute first for me. it usually takes me at least a few days before i even view the footage i shoot

anyways, nowt special but the lads from the cycling club reckon it captures the atmosphere of the day ...

'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

A very nice piece enc. Captures lots of different aspects but doesn't overdo anything. Well shot. All hand held too by the look of it which adds some dynamics to the shots. Very good edit too. I was just a tad disappointed not to see a rider or two cross the chequered flag (and perhaps an "exhausted" post-race shot.
    Tim

I would have added the injury somewhere in the middle
    Didn't dig the super wide too much
    Close-ups of gears shifting, brakes braking, shoes being clicked into pedals, ...
    Would have watched more

4. Default

Nice video

i think it would be nice be to introduce us to one or two cyclists at the start, so we are unconsciously rooting for them and maybe even looking for them in the gaggle of riders

Nice one enc. The many years of previous shooting experience shows through. As Ray said a couple of extreme close ups would have been nice. I like that you went to the trouble of timing the start of the race with the music.

The important thing to do after working so fast is to go and rub yourself down with a damp flannel and have a lie down.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Nice one enc. The many years of previous shooting experience shows through. As Ray said a couple of extreme close ups would have been nice. I like that you went to the trouble of timing the start of the race with the music.

The important thing to do after working so fast is to go and rub yourself down with a damp flannel and have a lie down.
    Just don't film the rub down

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    A very nice piece enc. Captures lots of different aspects but doesn't overdo anything. Well shot. All hand held too by the look of it which adds some dynamics to the shots. Very good edit too. I was just a tad disappointed not to see a rider or two cross the chequered flag (and perhaps an "exhausted" post-race shot.
    Thanks Tim, you are right it would have been better showing the winner crossing the finish line, ill probably use that in another edit. truth is, that footage is from a previous race ... i didnt stay to the end (race footage above) as it started to rain.

there's talk of shooting footage of rider interviews talking about the racing and their bikes etc so ill see how that goes.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

it was a shock to my system. i get the impression its you usual way of doing it

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    it was a shock to my system. i get the impression its you usual way of doing it
    I was was in a 24 ski relay race last December - I had the baton from 10pm to midnight (minus 26 degrees at the top), went back to my room, sat in the hot tub and watched the latest online videos of the race - only to see me skiing by the camera a couple of hours earlier

These days if you can't "lay it down" in real time, then you might as well give up and go back to the pub with your mates