Thread: My First Edit - Here We Go

Default My First Edit - Here We Go

Hey guys, I just uploaded my first edit into my channel, I'd be glad if those of you who could, will give me some tips or whatever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01q19Ih8hRA

2. Default

With this being your first edit, I have to say it turned out pretty good. As far as critique goes, I think you went too much over the top with visual effects. I was a skateboarder for six years and have watched and created my own little videos and I know that if you add in too many it kills the video. The skating alone, the tricks alone can make the footage. The music was a good choice and you synchronized it well with the footage. Next time try to make it a little longer maybe. I'm not sure if you were going for just cool tricks or a skateboarding video, but if it was the latter there was no point in adding the guy flipping on the trampoline at the end, it's just unnecessary, but overall not bad. Keep at it. Try to find some kids or teenagers who can do bigger tricks and record them.

Blog Entries

I echo the sentiments above. As a first video this was really very good. For a start you left in no bad shots and included many good shots.
    You had a mix of long and mid shots and, most importantly, some good close-ups.
    I'd like to see a bit more of a human angle though to draw us in to the film Next time try to get some close ups of faces of the skaters concentrating as they weigh up and prepare for a trick and/ even whilst performing, and get some reaction shots from the audience as someone pulls something of or just fails.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Limitles3 View Post
    With this being your first edit, I have to say it turned out pretty good. As far as critique goes, I think you went too much over the top with visual effects. I was a skateboarder for six years and have watched and created my own little videos and I know that if you add in too many it kills the video. The skating alone, the tricks alone can make the footage. The music was a good choice and you synchronized it well with the footage. Next time try to make it a little longer maybe. I'm not sure if you were going for just cool tricks or a skateboarding video, but if it was the latter there was no point in adding the guy flipping on the trampoline at the end, it's just unnecessary, but overall not bad. Keep at it. Try to find some kids or teenagers who can do bigger tricks and record them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I echo the sentiments above. As a first video this was really very good. For a start you left in no bad shots and included many good shots.
    You had a mix of long and mid shots and, most importantly, some good close-ups.
    I'd like to see a bit more of a human angle though to draw us in to the film Next time try to get some close ups of faces of the skaters concentrating as they weigh up and prepare for a trick and/ even whilst performing, and get some reaction shots from the audience as someone pulls something of or just fails.
    Thank you so much, both of you, thats is very encouraging but I have a little problem getting those kind of footages, I live in a small place where nobody around really does those tricks, I downloaded the footages froma youtube channel called - ClipHive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mena275 View Post
    Thank you so much, both of you, thats is very encouraging but I have a little problem getting those kind of footages, I live in a small place where nobody around really does those tricks, I downloaded the footages froma youtube channel called - ClipHive.
    You have an eye for an edit but don't download from other peoples' channels! This is, at the very least, bad etiquette. In some cases, it breaks copyright law.

Just go out and shoot some stuff. Any stuff. Find some people doing something different and blast out an edit.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

6. Default

Pretty cool. Some nice cuts to the music. Don't like the flying titles though..