Thread: Rendering long videos.

Default Rendering long videos.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and a novice video editor.
    I'm attempting to render very long videos, about 22 hours of recording. My software, Vegas Movie Studio HD 11, bogged down after rendering only 23% of the video.
    Is it possible to render such a long video?
    Is there a way to speed up the rendering?

Short answers: Yes and yes.

Possible to render long videos? Yes, though I have no experience with Movie Studio. Render a few smaller video clips to compare their file size vs. length. This is to be sure you'll have enough space to store the rendered video. What, exactly, do you mean by "bogged down?" I take it as it keeps rendering, but very slowly. Which brings us to:

Speed up the rendering? Yes, but I only know of the hardware-level stuff. For example, writing to an SSD can, should, and will be a whole lot faster than writing to a typical HDD. Also, some softwares (again, don't know about Movie Studio) can take advantage of some video cards for the frame rendering, which will take considerably less time than using the CPU.

By bogged down I mean that it rendered 23% of the video in about a day but then, for the next entire day, it didn't advance past 23%. I interpreted that to mean that it wasn't working and canceled the render.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pryne View Post
    I'm attempting to render very long videos, about 22 hours of recording.
    I am tempted to ask why? Do you really need a 22 hour video? I someone going to watch it all in one go - and even then would it not be more managable if split into (say) 2 hour episodes?
    I'm just concerned that you might be trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
    Tim

As above advised, you need to try working on your project in pieces. That's one of the points in the SCS Knowledgebase article #4168 you should read.
    Remember that the project properties, types of media in the project and the render template used plus of course your hardware also matter in this.
    Also be sure to have the final build of VMS(Platinum?) 11 installed. It "can address up to 4 GB of memory when running on a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7."

Blog Entries

Excellent link vkmast
    Tim

The Sony Creative Software Knowledgebase does seem to get overlooked too often. Probably because it's not always easy to know or find the relevant Search terms there.