Thread: VHS to computer

Default VHS to computer

Hi
    I have old VHS tapes which I used on my Panasonic NV 50 camcorder. I wanted to transfer the videos to my computer. The Camcorder has two RCA points (female) and one SVideo point (4 pin) . Is there a cable which could help me transfer the AV display to my computer screen which I could record through a screen capture software? Or could simply save the file on the hard disk ?

thank you

You can buy USB video capture adapters.

Something like this should do the job : http://www.ezcap.tv/usb-video-captur...6-capture-card
    Beware of fakes though!...
    Or you could use a DVD recorder. If you have one that accepts Svideo, that will give better results than the 'RCA' connector. You will still need to use the RCA for transferring the audio though.
    You cannot simply 'plug in' your analogue VHS camera directly into screen capture software. ..That software is looking to capture a digital image.
    Your video source is analogue, so will need to be converted to a digital format first..

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    Something like this should do the job : http://www.ezcap.tv/usb-video-captur...6-capture-card
    Beware of fakes though!...
    Or you could use a DVD recorder. If you have one that accepts Svideo, that will give better results than the 'RCA' connector. You will still need to use the RCA for transferring the audio though.
    You cannot simply 'plug in' your analogue VHS camera directly into screen capture software. ..That software is looking to capture a digital image.
    Your video source is analogue, so will need to be converted to a digital format first..
    Thanks ! My camera has one Svideo slot and two RCA connector. The connector slot are females. would I need to use some sort of male to male RCA wire to establish the connection between ezcap wire and camcorder ? would that work? I am assuimg this will also convert the video pass to digital so that the comp could read it. pls correct me if I am wrong
    Thanks for responding.

Yes, for the simplest connection you can choose a simple 2 way (stereo) male to male RCA lead. That would be one lead from your video out RCA from the camera - to the yellow connector on the adaptor, and one from the camera audio out to either the red or white RCA input on the Ezicap
    That will only give you sound in one channel though - left or right channel only. The Ezicap would normally be expect 2 audio channels (Stereo input)

You could use a splitter to make the mono audio appear on both channels - something like THIS You will then use all 3 RCA connections (yellow (video) red and white (audio) ) to the Ezicap. You would need a lead like THIS for that.

You could use an S-video cable instead of the yellow RCA connection to get (slightly) better quality video. You'd still need the 2 RCA leads and the slpitter for audio into both channels though.

The Ezicap will convert your analogue video into an Mpeg 2 digital signal on your computer....

Yes, for the simplest connection you can choose a simple 2 way (stereo) male to male RCA lead. That would be one lead from your video out RCA from the camera - to the yellow connector on the adaptor, and one from the camera audio out to either the red or white RCA input on the Ezicap
    That will only give you sound in one channel though - left or right channel only. The Ezicap would normally be expect 2 audio channels (Stereo input)

You could use a splitter to make the mono audio appear on both channels - something like THIS You will then use all 3 RCA connections (yellow (video) red and white (audio) ) to the Ezicap. You would need a lead like THIS for that.

You could use an S-video cable instead of the yellow RCA connection to get (slightly) better quality video. You'd still need the 2 RCA leads and the slpitter for audio into both channels though.

The Ezicap will convert your analogue video into an Mpeg 2 digital signal on your computer....

Hi
    Thanks for resolving the first query. I finally got my video capture device day before. It is from EasyCap version 2.0 and not Ezicap as I could not find it in India. The video capture is fine, but the quality of the capture is quite inferior from what it shows on the camcorder. The colors don't come out properly. Specially the sky and the sea, which are properly exposed and look quite blue on the camcorder but are off color and contaminated. The capture also has a lot of noise. I understand that there will be a loss of quality during the transfer but what i am experiencing currently is quite high. I am using corel videostudio to capture and following settings : Mpeg2 conversion, Svideo transfer, PAL i, PAL60 (either of these). I am using win 7 64 bit, I3 - (EasyCap is compatible with it as it says on the product) . I have been fiddling with , contrast, hue, saturation and brightness, which helps but only a bit.

Any ideas to improve this ?

Thanks again

As I mentioned in post #3 there are a lot of fakes out there, and if the quality is bad it does seem as if you might have acquired one of those......
    Probably not a lot you can do apart from continuing your experiments with adjusting levels etc.....

As I mentioned in post #3 there are a lot of fakes out there, and if the quality is bad it does seem as if you might have acquired one of those......
    Probably not a lot you can do apart from continuing your experiments with adjusting levels etc.....
    bought it from amazon india