Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would these laptops be good for editing?

Default Would these laptops be good for editing?

Hi! I would edit full HD videos mostly using Premiere Pro and After Effects. Would these two computers be good enough? Which one is better?
    What do I have to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

If you are honestly serious about editing I wouldn't buy a laptop. Some reasons for this:
    •You can build a custom PC (or a "hackingtosh" if you prefer to use OSX) that outperforms a high end laptop for a fraction of the cost of a laptop.
    •A laptop only has 1 screen(exceptions exist) which is usually to small to get any real work done on. (You'll want two big screens for a good work set-up)
    •A laptop is hard to upgrade and will sooner become obsolete than a desktop.
    •A laptop normally only has one CPU (most video editing is done by the processor, with the exeption of some plug-ins and 3D and ray-tracing in After Effects) and building a desktop at least gives you the option to have multiple CPU's
    •A laptop is almost impossible to overclock due to the limitations on heat dissipation. (Overclocking again could be useful to increase performance and speed)
    •Laptop components are generally more expensive so adding a few GB's of RAM costs a little more.
    •Laptops can usually hold less RAM than PC's
    •By buying a laptop you will usually also pay for useless features like optical drives and built in webcams (at least to me these are utterly obsolete)

To be honest the only upsides of a laptop are portability, small form factor and lower power consumption.
    That said, it is of course possible to work on a laptop and if you are mainly looking for an excuse to get a laptop and happen to like to do some basic non intensive video altering you can do that on either of those laptops.
    The N751JX looks best of the two options you supplied.

Things you want to look for in a video editing system (either PC or laptop):
    •Reasonably sized (at least 250GB) SSD for your video editing software's Cache & scratch disks and installation of the OS and editing software.
    •Lots of RAM (16-32GB) with a good speed (something like 1600mhz will do).
    •Large screen of at least 1920x1080.
    •Big secondary HDD for storage and installation of all non video editing programs.
    •Fast multi core processor. Adobe usually plays nice with Intel which is sadly a little more expensive but usually more energy efficient 4 cores with hyper threading is the minimum you'd want but more is better.

A hybrid solution for maximum performance and mobility could be found in having a workstation at home which you control remotely with a cheap laptop that only functions as a "client".
    For this solution to work you'd need quite a decent internet connection and the right software though otherwise the streaming lag will make certain elements of editing (specifically things like frame scrubbing) nearly impossible.
    The cats are watching us...

I guess, yes. These laptops are surely gonna do great editing. I recommend why don't you use free after effects templates for your videos? These are great for adding special effects and making a quality video, looking professional and attractive enough to grab the attention of the viewers.

The laptops would be pretty good for editing actually and they could be used to create an youtube intro. You should definitely invest in one of these computers to make better videos!

Llandysul, Wales

I have an i5 laptop with fast SSD and 16GB RAM I carry for editing if I need to, but NOTHING beats a proper PC, NOTHING, and can always be updated.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 37 C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (11-11-11-27)
    S2231W (1680x1050@60Hz)
    3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 35 C
    894GB SanDisk SDSSDXPS960G (SSD) 26 C
    2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 (SATA) 29 C
    2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA) 28 C
    2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA) 28 C
    7451GB Western Digital WD My Book Duo 0A10 USB Device (SSD) 26 C
    Optical Drives
    Realtek High Definition Audio

(remember the RAM speed is DOUBLED, not what is shown in pc spec programs)

Also remember space, space and more space is needed when editing hence my 17+ TB storage. External is never as fast as internal, you are limited with laptops.

In fact "laptop" is a false description, they were NEVER laptops, thart was a frase coined by the media, they are "portable computers" not to be used on a lap.
    Last edited by JR1; 03-08-2016 at 10:16 AM.

I have similar question. I need a notebook that can run programs with 4K videos running. I have made some research and Macbook PRO seems to be a candidate still.
    Any advice from here? Or a good site with reviews and best price, rating etc ?

Many thanks in advance

Well aside from the fact that notebooks are a bad choice for actual editing my advice would be to get that Apple if you like Apple products. There are plenty of other options out there that can do 4K video playback whilst running programs. Those requirements are simply too vague to give any decent advice on. I have an Alienware laptop that's around six years old that can run 4K video's and do some light tasks on the side so I suspect most current notebooks will be able to do so as well.
    Also check out that's the first stop 4K site to check as far as I know.

Getting a laptop for video editing purpose don’t need to be that expensive. If you are using your computer everyday I would say go for Apple and Macbook PRO. It will perform with most of the video editing softwares out today. Plus you will have a top end laptop for other areas of use.
    I don’t have experience with any other manufacturer, sorry. If you have other laptops in mind you can always search for reviews.. I found these review sites in two seconds.. both for video editing laptops only. Maybe it will help you on your way. Also you can see that both sites mentions Macbook PRO as good options.

Have you checked if any specific graphic card is necessary for the things you will work with ? I guess it is always possible to change afterwards also.

@Grapes & Fredd

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I will look into the Alienware laptops and make some more digging regarding the Macbook PRO.
    The graphics card I dont know about, but it seems that Alienware laptops has more power when it comes to that.

Alienware is mostly for gaming purposes and if you're not a gamer you can probably get something more specific for your needs at half the price. I mostly mentioned it because I happened to have tried it and it worked
    Oh and they are bulky! All that high end hardware generates some serious heat so they can't pack it into a slim design.

If you don't mind bulky, are not looking for an Apple and need some serious performance, have a look at the various mobile workstations that are on the market. Something with 12 cores, 64gb memory... you know... something nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by videodome View Post
    @Grapes & Fredd

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I will look into the Alienware laptops and make some more digging regarding the Macbook PRO.
    The graphics card I dont know about, but it seems that Alienware laptops has more power when it comes to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast