Thread: New to video editing...question?

Default New to video editing...question?

Im setting up some video editing software at my work so Ill be able to take clips from movies (vhs, dvd) and put them in powerpoint presentations.

I bought ATI TV WONDER USB 2.0 (TV Tuner), and am able to use it to get clips from vhs but when I use it to get clips from a dvd (using a dvd/vcr combo player) the DVD's just skip a bunch.

My real question though is, we have premiere 6.01 at work, would I be able to use premiere and capture and record a clip from a DVD in my Computers DVD-ROM drive or do I have to get a video capture device? Im assuming the ATI TV WONDER USB 2.0 is not a video capture device.

Thanks any helpis greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Most of the answers you need are covered in the FAQ - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-faq-90.htm

Have a read through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Most of the answers you need are covered in the FAQ - http://www.videoforums.co.uk/guide-faq-90.htm

Have a read through this.
    Im sorry but the FAQ didnt really answer my questions, at least not clearly. Im looking for a more definate (yes or no) type answer for my questions:

1. Will my ATI TV WONDER USB 2.0 be able to capture video from a DVD being played on a sony DVD/VHS combo? It doesnt say it's only for analog anywhere on the box. Here is the product in question.

http://www.ati.com/products/tvwonderusb20/

2. If I only have Premiere 6.1 and a DVD-ROM on my computer (no capture device), is it possible to capture video from the DVD to be used for editing in Premiere?

Thanks

Blog Entries

You don't have to capture a DVD. You rip the contents (i.e copy the VOB files) to your harddrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    You don't have to capture a DVD. You rip the contents (i.e copy the VOB files) to your harddrive.
    I tried copy over the VOB files from the DVD, but I get an error. Im assuming they are copyright protected?

Is it against copyright to use a clip from a retail movie DVD (lets say "remember the titans") and put it in a powerpoint for a class?

And lets I want to get a clip from a retail, copyrighted DVD movie in a DVD player would I need a DV capture device to do that?

Blog Entries

Lets say you searched in google for "dvddecryter"