Thread: Rainy, walking and tacky music vid

Blog Entries

Default Rainy, walking and tacky music vid

"Here mate you couldn't do us a video could you? Just for fun like."
    Yeah, I mean, a simple, just-for-fun, video. Couldn't be simpler.
    "Oh, but we finish at 3pm and would like to show it that evening."

Right. Experience tells me that people who have spent all day doing something difficult, aren't gonna be happy with a 2:30 video, especially after a few beers. Forget art and quality, they want quantity!

So, tacky music with a strong sense of irony. How else can you make a group of blokes walking along a path look interesting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7XgX00Gpyg

For those interested in the techy bit - shot on a consumer Canon HF11 300 on fleabay.

Edit: Follow them on the walk, then six hours to get home, transfer, edit, source music, burn DVD and get to the venue. I'd rather have carried the bloody stretcher!
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Good on 'em. I could picture you clambering about, getting ahead in time to shoot them approaching, then passing, and then running on ahead again. I'm sure it's not the toughest shoot you've had but having tried to follow someone around a 5km track I appreciate just how tough it is (I gave up). A few place names/pub names along the way might have added something. I think I'd have preferred the 2:30 version, but I think your point about presenteng them with that is sound (and the fact you're still here to post this is testament to that). Watching a second time, it is clear that you've selected a wide variety of shots and I think a shorter edit would have emphasised this.
    If they do it again, why don't you suggest you get the whole thing as a shot from the victim's POV so you can lie down on the job.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I agree 100%. It's way too long. The thing is that it's for the people on the walk, so they want to see as much of themselves as possible. For the non-combatant, it's boring after the first couple of minutes.
    I could "graduate" it... (That is: spout recently graduated film-student rubbish to justify a mistake) and say that it was intentionally kept long and slow to give the viewer an impression of the long slog the walkers endured.
    But I won't. I just used a lot of footage to keep the participants happy.

Good point about the place names, trouble is there weren't any! Once they were on the coast path there's just the odd sign giving a grid reference which might be of interest to geo-cachers I suppose.
    (If you don't know what a geocacher is, don't worry, I didn't either 'til I googled it, then wished I hadn't bothered.)

In the same way, the repetition of the same shots but in different locations gets old, quickly.

And yes, it was a case of film, run, scrabble, film, run etc etc etc. Luckily I made the decision to use the smallest camera in my arsenal and not to carry a tripod.

Sometimes I hate being in a country that heads after copyright issues ...

"Video not available" - doesn't say why

Installed YouTube Unblocker. Either music or original sound were too loud for my taste. The seemed to compete with each other a bit. Apart from that I guess you did what was possible with that footage. Did you already add stabilization in post at 2:10 (and follow ups)?

Blog Entries

Nope, no stabilization, just a handy rock, fence or knee when possible.

In these type of video I find that it's best to keep the ambient sound there, but not clearly understandable, as no-one is saying anything relevant. It's basically a music video with a few ambient sounds to avoid a "sterile" soundtrack.

Zam, it's probably a music-copyright issue although, having chosen really tacky, old-fashioned, hyperbolic music, I fail to see that anyone would want to copy it!

Some good footage but I'd seen it all by 2 minutes. Might have kept my interest of there had been a voice over or at least some comments from the participants. A very worthy cause and one I would have donated to. But I don't understand why they don't have some kind of banner or at least have something on the collection bucket showing what they were r collecting for !? Small badge on their t shirt will go n noticed by most

Edit: sorry just realised this was in the just for fun section so my views might not be required !!
    Last edited by enc; 08-26-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    ...It's way too long. The thing is that it's for the people on the walk, so they want to see as much of themselves as possible. For the non-combatant, it's boring after the first couple of minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Some good footage but I'd seen it all by 2 minutes.

If this had been about the event, intended for viewing by others then I would have got interviews, voice-overs and probably a bit of preparation for the walk and the shot of them handing over the cheque at the end.

However... As I was one of the walkers, and was asked to "do a bit of video for us while you're walking, Rob. Nothing special. So that we can show it at the evening do." They were lucky to get this much! Even then, some of them moaned that I'd missed some bits out.

Needless to say, the one person not seen in the final video... is me!

Edit: That's why I hate doing things for "mates". They always say "Don't go to any special effort, just shoot some video" but then complain if it doesn't look like a multi-camera BBC production.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-26-2015 at 05:22 PM.