Thread: Transcode Settings in Adobe Encore

Default Transcode Settings in Adobe Encore

I've been looking all over the web for some help on this for a week and can't find any solid info. If anyone can help, I will owe you a steak dinner.

Here's the deal, I'm trying to get some relatively old VHS tapes to DVD (capturing to DV AVI in ULEAD Media Studio) then importing into Encore. First I was using Ulead DVD Movie Factory. The picture came out fine, but there were some sycnh issues and I was very unhappy with the limited options in the program.

So I bit the bullet and got Encore. I love the functionality and control over the menus and such, but the problem is this: I try to stick to the "Automatic" Transcode settings, but the quality is noticably degraded from the original VHS. There is some blocking and what best would be descibed as "digital noise" it's light but it's there. I looked up my Ulead burned DVDs in Bitrate viwer and saw that they were encoded at an average of around 5000 kbs. Encore's automatic settings look to be encoding at an average of 7000, and peaking a bit higher than that.

Could it be Encore's automatic encodes are too high? I'm getting really desperate at this point. I do not want to go back to cheap ULEAD movie factory, but if their encoder is better, I may sadly have to :cry:

Can anyone point me in the right direction....please

File times: Around 90 minutes per project
    Computer: Gateway with XP SP2
    Intel P4 2.8 GHZ with HT
    512 Ram
    Dula layer burner

Hopefully.....

Fists

Blog Entries

I've never used Encore to encode the files. I encode using a 3rd party application, then use these to build the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    I've never used Encore to encode the files. I encode using a 3rd party application, then use these to build the disc.
    Thanks. Any suggestions on what I might use? I'm thinking of encoding it straight out of Ulead Media Studio and simply using Encore for the menus.

Is the Encore transcoder known for not producing the best quality?

Blog Entries

I've just always been happy with the presets I've set up within TMPGenc Xpress to be honest.

So I've downloaded the TMPGEnc Trail and so far, it seems to be the encoder to beat...Thanks.

One more question. Any suggestions on minimum bitrate? The default for NTSC DVD seems to be 0. I could be wrong but shouldn't I set it a bit higher?

Thanks!

Fists