Thread: Flat Picture Control presets and noise

Default Flat Picture Control presets and noise

Hello everyone,

I have some problems with Flat picture control presets and my Nikon D7100. This camera is known for horrible banding when lifting shadows too much, and it shows banding always, even at ISO100 when using any of the Flat picture profiles I have.
    It is somehow confusing for me, because it is logical that presets do not interfere with sensor and it can not amplify noise or signal, it just reveals it because of the curve applied in the profile, but still my footage is horrible even in the studio with good light.

Here is some example:

I always expose for the highlights, and here some deep shadows and blacks can be solved by applying S curve, but noise and banding is everywhere so it is impossible to mask everything with contrast, even if I make it very strong.

Is there some general rule about Flat picture profiles, where to use them, and where not to use them, I am very confused now?
    Last edited by alfaholic; 08-23-2015 at 06:02 PM.

I don't know of any hard and fast rule about this. Or even if it would make a difference to you cameras out put quality. The best way to not have this problem is using a camera with 4:4:4 10 bit colour depth etc.

Banding is usually a bit rate issue along with the codec the camera is using so the compression of the files isn't going to help either. I believe the most you could do with your existing camera is to shoot at the highest settings and continue to expose correctly like you are. Sorry if this doesn't help.