Thread: Help editing corrupted mp4

Question Help editing corrupted mp4

I have this mp4 on my external drive that I cannot copy over to my PC because there is a 1 minute segment of it that is corrupted. The beginning and end parts play fine so I want to find a free editing software that will let me edit the video where I can just "chop" or "cut" out the corrupted part and merge or splice the remaining two parts together. My video will be incomplete after that but at least I'll be able to transfer it to my hard drive.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You mean the copy process is cancelled? That may be only fixable by data recovery software. Have you tried using ffmpeg thoug?

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    You mean the copy process is cancelled? That may be only fixable by data recovery software. Have you tried using ffmpeg thoug?
    I tried ffmpeg to convert it to mp4 and it only converted up to the corrupted section, outputting a much smaller file.
    All I want is a video editing program that will let me chop out one small section in the middle of the video and merge the two separated chunks together. What program can do this?

Well any video editing software could do it as long as the operating system can read the file. Your problem doesn't seem to be the editing software but the file system corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Well any video editing software could do it as long as the operating system can read the file. Your problem doesn't seem to be the editing software but the file system corruption.
    Those all cost money. Can you recommend a free program? I just need to use this once and that's it. Thanks.
    What about Wondershare? Can it chop out the middle section of a video and merge the two remaining pieces together?
    Last edited by Tes96; 08-13-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Streamclip