Thread: Rendering for Bluray

1. Default Rendering for Bluray

Having made the move to an HD camcorder, I need some help with render settings. I have a Douglas Spotted Eagle arriving workshop book but it doesn't help with HD rendering.
    When I was editing DV tape I rendered to mpeg 2 wide-screen pal format.
    With the HD project do I still use the save as type mpeg 2 ? When I click the template box there are several Bluray options I am guessing that the 1920 x 1080-24p 25 Mbps is the correct choice as it is the only progressive option, what about the audio render, I uséd to render to ac3 but I am totally lost at the moment.
    Any suggestions for rendering video and audio would be much appreciated,
    I imagine I will probably have more queries in the future when I load my renders into Architect to burn the Bluray.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Best regards Red kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

Blog Entries

Having been through the same process myself recently (having only las year started producing BluRays perhaps I can answer).

The processes broadly the same as it was for DVDs - ie render teh video and audio separately, using ac3 for teh audio (as with DVD, this isn't totally necessary as some of the video templates will include audio but (a) the ac3 are good quality and take little space and (b) if you're making DVD s and BluRays you only need do the audio once)

OK the video
    You can use either MainConcept Mpeg2 with appropriate settings or Sony AVC. I've not done any real testing to see the difference.
    Now, if you've recorded in 1080/25p you really want to render in 1080/25p, but you'll see that is not available (The BluRay spec does not allow 1080/25p only 720/25p or 1080/24p), However, from what I've read and totally failed to understand, rendering as 1080/50i causes some sort of magic to happen which gives you 25p. I did some test renders from a some 4K GH4 footage to BluRay at 1080/50i and it looked really impressive.
    Alternatively you could go to 24p, but turn resample off for each clip and accept you're going to lose a frame per second (or stretch you footage by exactly one frame per complete second, which will include every frame but slow the film down by 4%)

As for bitrates - I read articles that suggest BluRay is typically 20mbps.
    Tim

3. Default Blu-ray burning

Good morning Tim, thanks for your reply , it seems to cover all the bases and it does seem odd about the 50i producing progressive Blu-rays. I am sure this will not be the last question that I post.
    Like you I really enjoy the process of editing and persuading Vegas to produce the result that I want and am quite happy to spend hours tweaking, it is after all only a hobby for me and not a business.
    Regards
    Red kite

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Having been through the same process myself recently (having only las year started producing BluRays perhaps I can answer).

The processes broadly the same as it was for DVDs - ie render teh video and audio separately, using ac3 for teh audio (as with DVD, this isn't totally necessary as some of the video templates will include audio but (a) the ac3 are good quality and take little space and (b) if you're making DVD s and BluRays you only need do the audio once)

OK the video
    You can use either MainConcept Mpeg2 with appropriate settings or Sony AVC. I've not done any real testing to see the difference.
    Now, if you've recorded in 1080/25p you really want to render in 1080/25p, but you'll see that is not available (The BluRay spec does not allow 1080/25p only 720/25p or 1080/24p), However, from what I've read and totally failed to understand, rendering as 1080/50i causes some sort of magic to happen which gives you 25p. I did some test renders from a some 4K GH4 footage to BluRay at 1080/50i and it looked really impressive.
    Alternatively you could go to 24p, but turn resample off for each clip and accept you're going to lose a frame per second (or stretch you footage by exactly one frame per complete second, which will include every frame but slow the film down by 4%)

As for bitrates - I read articles that suggest BluRay is typically 20mbps.
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England