Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Y Fan

Default Pen Y Fan

I'm a bit frustrated with this one. My first mountain climb in many years with my kit, I was battered by the wind and so were my shots. There's only so much stabilisation can do, and its fecking obvious :(
    Gonna have to try this one again before the summer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxWtwdsb8A

Blog Entries

Hey! Long time, no see
    I really enjoyed that and I didn't have any problem with any lack of stabilization (didn't notice as I wasn't looking for it)
    Unusually, I enjoyed the middle section more than the beginning and the end (although the last 20 seconds was my favourite section).
    The only thing that I wasn't so sure about was the cutting on the beat. The beat felt so strong that the cut seemed rather harsh - I can't quite put my finger on it. It might (or might not) be worth trying with a very short (1 or 2 frames either side) dissolve, just to take the edge off it, or cutting on the 3rd beat rather than the 1st. Probably it's just me ...
    Tim

Hi Hi Tim!

Nice to be back
    The middle is my fave as well, the video is true to the events from the day, we started fairly early morning but as we climbed higher more people joined in the walk which made it much more exciting visually, especially once we got to the top
    Cutting to the beat is a weird one, that video doesn't quite cut on every beat, there are moments where it doesn't to try and ease it from being too obvious, but you still picked it up Its also personal preference, I prefer to mix it up a bit, but there are people I work with who are very insistent that everything must be cut to the beat, difficult to please everyone on that :/

enjoyed that only a bit of stabilization issue.. i wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't have mentioned it ... what stunning scenery.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Stunning scenary I didn't notice a stablisation issue, I think my eye's have been trained to accept wobbly shots these days.
    For those few shots were the sky is burnt out I'd be tempted to either put something on it in post or drop the shots from the edit.
    The first time I watched it I had in mind what Tim had said and thought he had a point, it could do with a couple of cross fades or something. Then I watched it again and didn't really have an issue with it.

Blog Entries

In my opinion, it works better without the music, but there are still some cuts that stick out. Unless there's something I want to really draw attention to, for example underlining suprise, I remove any cut that jars my attention. For me, some of the cuts stick out because they're out of synch with the flow you created at the start. For example a cut after only a few seconds of a clip. Adding in the music creates more expectations about the flow of the cuts, but the cuts don't seem to ebb and flow with the music, for example at 8 seconds I would expect an opening cut involving some kind of action.

It seems as if you arranged the clips in the order that they were shot. If you're looking out for it, you can see the you're climbing in height the further into the video you go. But what seems odd from first view is that you're walking down in a lot of the opening shots - which is probably just what you did. I would have tried to mix the shots up at bit at the expense of a "real" progression of time. In particular, the first minute or so had a complete absence of close ups, which would have broken up the pattern of "wide shot, wide shot, wide shot, sheep, wide shot, wide shot, walking...."

When stabilising, I try and set an acceptable wobble level. Past a certain attempt at reducing wobble, you end up with something unnatural. I expect an element of wobble in such videos, and this looks like stablised wobble. It may work better if you dialed down the stablisation.

Some voice over and b roll close ups (pouring coffee into a cup, opening a clip on your backpack, tying your boots, ...) would have been nice. A bit too much footage of "life on the summit" for my taste.
    Nicely captured trip though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    In my opinion,...
    Great post Marc. Lots to think about there for all of us.
    Tim

ok, next time you go to Pen Y Fan you want to call these guys beforehand and tell them that you want "the works" - thank me later

http://www.avonhgpg.co.uk/sites/talybont.php

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Some voice over and b roll close ups (pouring coffee into a cup, opening a clip on your backpack, tying your boots, ...) would have been nice. A bit too much footage of "life on the summit" for my taste.
    Nicely captured trip though.

yes i agree.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast