Thread: trekking tripod

Default trekking tripod

I'm going to be taking my camera up some volcanos and around some rainforest next year. I'm practicing and figuring out gear by climbing lots of mountains around wales. So far I've been taking my monopod, but its just not cutting it when its windy, I need something more sturdy.
    Anyone got any suggestions for a light weight video tripod?
    I'm using a canon c100mk2 so it needs to be sturdy enough for that but light enough for me to carry it in tricky and steep conditions. eep!

Blog Entries

How about a shoulder support or optical viewfinder instead? Anything that creates a point of contact with your body will help stabilise. You can also get spreaders for a monopod that create more balance.

If you can fit it in your budget(judging by your destination description and camera choice this won't be a problem) you can probably not find anything lighter and sturdier than carbon tripods like the Gitzo GT1542T or the less expensive Sirui T-025X for example.
    If you feel that these will not support enough load you'll likely have to go with a slightly heavier (>3lbs) tripod.
    The cats are watching us...

i dont think you are going to find a tripod that is sturdy enough not to be affected by wind and be light and compact too.... id like to be proved wrong though
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    If you can fit it in your budget(judging by your destination description and camera choice this won't be a problem) you can probably not find anything lighter and sturdier than carbon tripods like the Gitzo GT1542T or the less expensive Sirui T-025X for example.
    If you feel that these will not support enough load you'll likely have to go with a slightly heavier (>3lbs) tripod.
    i agree your opinion