Thread: How can I prevent a jittery DOG,

Default How can I prevent a jittery DOG,

Hi everyone. I have produced my 2nd sports vodcast and I have an issue with the DOG. It jitters on screen vertically and can be kind of distracting in full screen, exactly what I didn't want it to do.

Also in there same video there are some still images used and in one of them someone is holding a drink. The jitter also affects the liquid in the glass making it look like it's moving.

I don't know what's causing it or how to prevent it happening in future videos.

I have added a link for the video on YouTube. The quality isn't great and I have a handle on what caused that, but I would like your input and ideas on the jitter issue please.

The DOG jitter is throughout
    The drink jitter is 20:13 and left of centre screen

https://youtu.be/PJlfVsIp5wA

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Thegiantniner; 08-06-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Correcting link

Blog Entries

Take us through the process. What happens to the footage after it comes off your camera. Is the jitter there if you play it straight back on the PC?
    It looks to me like the editor (if you're using one) trying to match things - resolution, interlacing, frame rate or a combination.
    Tim

It's not footage that's jittery, it's still images. One is a static DOG in the upper right corner, the other is a full screen still shot.

Blog Entries

My guess is that the number of pixels in the still images don't match very well with the resolution of the video image you are creating and whatever process is deciding what colour a particular pixel should be is changing from frame to frame. Whether or not this is the reason, it is clearly well known that still images can cause jitter. My own NLE, Sony Vegas Pro, has a "switch" that can be applied to each event (anything on the timeline - eg an audio clip, a video clip or a still image in Vegas is an "event") to "reduce interlace flicker". Here's what the help file has to say

"This switch can be useful in cases where the source material didn't originate as video and contains extremely high spatial or temporal frequencies.

When you watch the rendered (interlaced) output on video of this sort of media, you may see flickering or crawling edges if this switch is not applied

Enable this switch when using imported images that were not created using a video camera (such as photographs) or when using generated media or text.
    "

This may not solve your problem, but it may give you somewhere to look.
    Tim

The video isn't bad

the audio could be better - in the opening sequence it sounds like either a) you've got a hairdryer running in the background or b) the UK doesn't believe in grounding electrical outlets

I agree with Tim, it looks like a pixel match issue. You could try re-sizing your images before you put them in the video editor so for example if your final render is 720 x 1280 size your photos to this size first. Then send them to your video editing software.

This is just one possible work around the dog logo is another issue. Are you rendering to an interlaced format ? I don't see why you would need to do this but it does look like some sort of wrong field order flickering. Try setting your project setting to progressive and render to a progressive format.

This is all just guess work are we don't know you full work flow.

Thank you everyone for the input. The pixel match makes complete sense and I can say now that I didn't resize the images before importing them so there is a very good chance that this was completely the issue.

I'm going to re-edit the video using resized images and see if that solves it.

The DOG, I don't know as I have been using an Adobe Premiere preset. Will investigate this further and see if the render is indeed interlaced.

Thanks again so much for the input and the roadsigns to a possible fix.