Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greece is the Word

Blog Entries

Default Greece is the Word

OK. Latest effort with Elise and her friends. This time the scenes were almost solely composited in HitFilm 3 Pro and stitched together in Vegas.
    For a change I used Tracktion for the music (with free midi files downloaded from the internet and edited by me). Most instrument samples from from IK Multimedia SampleTank2 (guitars live by me). Voices tuned where necessary with Melodyne.

Just enjoy it for what it is or critique.

Tim

Lots of fun for sure - I groaned at a couple of the jokes but great job over all

I'm guessing that you had everybody record their voices and then lip sync - how did that work with the kids?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I'm guessing that you had everybody record their voices and then lip sync - how did that work with the kids?
    Indeed Zam. We've always done it like that. I make the kids sing along rather than just mime and it's a bit more realistic. As they are syncing to their own voices (recorded on a Zoom H2) they tend to get the phrasing pretty accurate. (YouTube seems to have mangled the sync a bit here). In gact, whilst filming, lip sync is the last thing we bother watching for as they tend to identify themseleve when they've got it wrong. Thanks for watching.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Brilliant!

Abso-bloody-lutely brilliant.

There's time, thought and effort gone into this video, a lot of work. Technically spot-on (greenscreen is a pain, so doing a whole 7+ minutes is an odyssey) with really good audio.

Respect Tim!

Wow brother, this really well done. As a processional children's entertainer and a home schooling family Im super impressed with this on so many levels. How long did this project take you? The actors all were great ( in my opinion) and I thought the lyrics were very well written. Is this a project for fun? school? A job? You are quit a talent!
    rock on!

Blog Entries

I couldn't be happier. Praise from someone who knows what he's talkimg about on the technical front AND from a pro children's entertainer.
    TBH the G/S could be better but probably only if I'd hire a greenscreen studio rather than trying to cram it all into my living room.
    Thanks, both of you. It's really given me a boost
    I'll let you know how long it took is a while - gotta come down to earth by showing my ignorance watching University Challenge now
    Tim

Lots of humour - yummy
    If I had to critisize anything I would say the instrumentals were a bit erm oldschool - like midi.
    I wonder how you composed the scene at 1:25. Was there 3D tracking involved and did you move the camera in post?
    All my respect to the hard work with costumes, animation, kids, ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Lots of humour - yummy
    If I had to critisize anything I would say the instrumentals were a bit erm oldschool - like midi.
    As I predate midi by quite a way - my recording days were all to 2" tape - can you elaborate? What's "new school"? I presume you don't mean loops as I've had a play with that but it just doesn't work for me - the loops never go where the tune in my head goes. It's like producing a meal where the meat has been cooked by Chef A , the veg by Chef B, the sauce by Chef C and claiming it's yours

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I wonder how you composed the scene at 1:25. Was there 3D tracking involved and did you move the camera in post?
    All done in post. The temple was a 3D model, in a 3D space, the backdrop was just a plane set well back and there's a little bit of a true 3D cloud in there. The characters are on another 3D plane.

Although the temple is the only true 3D in the film, I set up a lot of the shots as 3D planes in a 3D space so i could get some camera tracking going on. Some is more successful than others. Also this allowed me to use 3D lights (not in the temple, but in many others) which gave me quite a bit more scope with the look (but caused my computer apoplexy)

Thanks for the comments.
    Tim

Great stuff tim... that must have taken an absolute age to produce. I bet the kids had a great time making it
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Great stuff tim... that must have taken an absolute age to produce. I bet the kids had a great time making it
    It took a hell of a lot of time in post, certainly.
    Lyric writing/Storyboarding - hard to tell as we spent many months on it, but generally just buzzing around in our heads. Only a few hours of cencerted effort, but that was basically writing down the stuff that we'd had buzzing around.
    Editing music (basically downloading free midi files, working out what line was what instrument, choosing sampled instruments, editing to fit the music) maybe 2 hours per song - 10 hours. Add a couple of hours for replacing midi guitar with live guitar.
    Working out which members of the cast were needed together - 1 hour.
    Finding a time when the correct members could get together - about a week of phone calls/fb messages/sms, email chatting outside the school (Thanks Mrs Tim)
    Test shots (one evening)
    Production:
    Goddesses - 1 Friday evening
    Lecturer/Theseus/Aegeus/Minotaur/Ariadne 1 Saturday
    (Break to watch final race of Formula E season at Battersea Park)
    "Children" 1 Monday morning
    Editing:
    2-3 hours every weekday evening and every Saturday and Sunday for at least 6 hours for four weeks.
    (rough edit done within 2.5 weeks so they could show it before end of term.

Clearly I'm far too slow to do this professionally
    Tim

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast