Thread: Loading AVHD files onto computer for editing in Vegas pro

1. Default Loading AVHD files onto computer for editing in Vegas pro

I have moved( at last ) to an HD camcorder Canon AX20 which records onto SD cards. I would like your views on best way to import the files from the camera onto the computer ready for editing in Vegas.
    There is a CD with the camera specifically for transferring the files through a USB cable , I also have a card reader , with my stills camera I usually take the SD card out of the camera and transfer the images using using the card reader.
    Is it better to transfer the files using the software and USB cable or would I be OK using the card reader ? I would prefer the card reader option but don't know if it could possibly confuse the camcorder by removing and refitting the card.
    Comments would be much appreciated, on steep learning curve at the moment as there are a lot more adjustments on the camera, I knew where I was with the DV tape system
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

Blog Entries

You camera may well chop lengthy film clips up (eg if you shoot continuously - for example filming events) into 4GB clip because of limitations of the FAT32 system used on SD cards. Often the software supplied will recombine these 4GB chunks into one long clip so that is one benefit. Whetejr the software with the AX 20 does this, I do not know.

Removing and refitting the card will not confuse the camcorder. However if you delete files from the card this may do as you may delete a file and leave an index file somewhere else. It's best to do this via the software (which may well also work on the card inserted directly into your PC's card reader).

Always format the card in the camera you intend to use it in.
    Tim

3. Default

Tim thanks for your comments, the main reason for using the internal card reader is because I understand the transfer rate would be quicker than using the USB cable. I try not to load any unnecessary software onto my video computer to keep it as clean as possible.

Blog Entries

I'm right with you on that. Having said that, the camera probably just acts like a USB card reader. You'll find your card reader is actually connected to an internal USB connector. So, there's only a difference if your camera is USB 2 (I've looked it up, it is)only and/or connected to a USB 2 connector, and your reader is USB 3 and connected to a USB 3 connector. It is highly likely that the software will read the data the same whether you use the camera or the card reader. So my suggestion is to try the software with the card plugged into your internal reader.
    Tim

5. Default

Hi Time, thanks, appreciate your comments.
    As a bit of an off topic, I keep coming back to the forum to see what is in the news but it is very noticeable that the number of posts has declined dramatically.
    I am wondering if the move to HD has put people off video editing or perhaps people are using their phones for everything now and camcorders are dropping out of favour.
    Regards red.kite

Blog Entries

As someone involved in the dying world of film making clubs, I could probably write an essay on the subject but it would all be conjecture.
    What I will say is there is a gap emerging between the minimal fuss, snap it on an iphone and stick it up without editing and the "serious" film makers who have to work with 4K, DSLRs, and all the gear.

Not so very long ago, one had to invest a loty of money and a lot of time into this hobby to get anything at all out. Now, entry level is cheap and acceptable results are easy to obtain - to get to the next level, even only a small step up, takes a lot of investment in time and money and not so many are prepared to do that (for such little return above and beyond what the "netry level" will produce.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As someone involved in the dying world of film making clubs, I could probably write an essay on the subject but it would all be conjecture.
    What I will say is there is a gap emerging between the minimal fuss, snap it on an iphone and stick it up without editing and the "serious" film makers who have to work with 4K, DSLRs, and all the gear.

Not so very long ago, one had to invest a loty of money and a lot of time into this hobby to get anything at all out. Now, entry level is cheap and acceptable results are easy to obtain - to get to the next level, even only a small step up, takes a lot of investment in time and money and not so many are prepared to do that (for such little return above and beyond what the "netry level" will produce.
    i understand what you are saying Tim but I see one minor flaw in your argument - it just doesn't wash

i think the gap you have identified is correct, but I think the rationale for that gap is due to filmmakers applying the following logic:

- I have an idea
    - can I do it on my phone?
    - if so, I'm all set
    - if not, can I do it on my phone plus my gro?
    - if so, I'm all set
    - if not, can I do it on my ...

i think you see where I'm going - for me, the tipping point for turning on my desktop (it hasn't been plugged in since 2012) and firing up CS2 would be if I was shooting for 100k views - my most popular video is nudging up to 1k so it's a ways off

I also really like to film, edit and post on the same day (or I lose interest)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    i understand what you are saying Tim but I see one minor flaw in your argument - it just doesn't wash
    actually I think the rationale you are applying precisely fits my argument. It's a case of massively diminishing returns. Also

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    i

I also really like to film, edit and post on the same day (or I lose interest)
    That!
    People want (and can get) instant results. Why would anyone want to spend all their spare time for five weeks in post like I've just done for a film that (like yours) may get 1000 views.

Well, I know why I do - a) because I enjoy the process and (b) because it couldn't be done in a day.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    actually I think the rationale you are applying precisely fits my argument. It's a case of massively diminishing returns. Also

That!
    People want (and can get) instant results. Why would anyone want to spend all their spare time for five weeks in post like I've just done for a film that (like yours) may get 1000 views.

Well, I know why I do - a) because I enjoy the process and (b) because it couldn't be done in a day.
    i agree with your statements

personally I've abandoned the old workflow (lots of capture, followed by lots of editing, followed by a release) in favor of tiny chunks of capturing, editing and releasing in instalments

if you take my hang gliding instalments as tiny parts of a whole, you will see a short film that
    - has already spanned several months of filming and editing
    - has used up to 8 HD cameras (iPhones and iPads have two each and I am flying with 2 go pros)
    - has spanned more than 10 locations (including truck stops)
    - has used a large number of (mostly unsuspecting) cast members
    - has already cost over $2000 to make (including gas, flying insurance, zoo admissions, hotels, meals, etc)

In traditional film-making terms, I think what I am actually doing is publishing the "daily rushes" instead of saving them and making a whole movie out of them