Thread: Dancing with the Angels

Default Dancing with the Angels

Hi Guys!

Hope life is well for you all

I've been tinkering with video editing on and off for a while now, one of my many nay interests. Nothing serious, but recently I bought a drone which came with a 4k camera. I thought I'd give it a go and after not too many flights saw a potential for some nice footage. I find it hard trying to get footage that looks appealing but after snapping the recent footage took the time to try and make cuts in time with the backing track and to make the footage tell a story, kind of any way. Family and friends like it but I was hoping you wonderful folk could give me some constructive feedback! possibly ideas, where I've done well, where I haven't etc. Many thanks

Nigel

https://youtu.be/kVdrT85e5oA

Blog Entries

It's nice and smooth. There are one or two high points - I liked the take off, the bit where the crop was affected by the downdraft from the drone, the transition to the tree and the close up shots of the tree ...but .... it didn't really do anything for me. It didn't say anything other than "here's some crops" and a tree". The ending left me disappointed - it seemed just to stop,

Then again I'm not the most sensitive person here so maybe I'm missing stuff that others will "get". To me it looked like some very nicely done test footage, but nothing more.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's nice and smooth. There are one or two high points - I liked the take off, the bit where the crop was affected by the downdraft from the drone, the transition to the tree and the close up shots of the tree ...but .... it didn't really do anything for me. It didn't say anything other than "here's some crops" and a tree". The ending left me disappointed - it seemed just to stop,

Then again I'm not the most sensitive person here so maybe I'm missing stuff that others will "get". To me it looked like some very nicely done test footage, but nothing more.
    Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the honest critique. I did say I wanted to tell a story but I guess set a mood is probably closer to the where I'm heading.
    I tried to set the clips to the backing track and make it fit but as you say there are areas for improvement.
    Sadly with the limited space here in the UK to fly in i'm pretty limited with material but I shall certainly persevere.

Many thanks again for your feedback.
    Last edited by Krellon; 08-03-2015 at 12:18 AM.

I enjoyed it - there are some great establishing shots for a narrative - you could imagine a train going through the countryside, then move inside the train for the story

in fact, I think this would be a great tool for trainspotters - trainspotting is very popular here in Canada, but the videos are always taken from beside the tracks or at the station - imagine zooming straight down the track head on into choo-choo-857 - and turn away at the last second - Bam! That's what I'm talkin' about!

the music was OK - I'd ditch the drum track for sure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    in fact, I think this would be a great tool for trainspotters - trainspotting is very popular here in Canada, but the videos are always taken from beside the tracks or at the station - imagine zooming straight down the track head on into choo-choo-857 - and turn away at the last second - Bam! That's what I'm talkin' about!
    And imagine the CAA getting straight on to you!
    Tim

Very cool, smooth, clear footage. I can imagine so many uses for the drone I will probably never own. I too liked the take off and the tree shot. Would have liked more of that vs the crops but I did enjoy your flight.
    rock on

Hiya zamiotana,

Thanks for the feedback! I have had a number of close friends say similar about the establishing shots. I would love to embellish with the addition of a train head shot or something along those line but it would have to be without the drone, there's strict laws here in the UK about drone work and proximity to people and buildings. Especially a head on with a choo choo lol, i'd be in jail faster than you could say chitty chitty bang bang! That said, I do live right on top of a railway line, the DSLR on a bridge overlooking the line with a telephoto and some careful editing might work

Thanks again!

Thanks Hook! I got beat up over the crop shots by my brother, that and the tree shot at the end. He said it was more of a distraction and in hind site I tend to agree. I didn't want to harp on a them and wanted to add some verity by I can see how that detracted from the overall look and feel.
    I'll try to maintain a single theme next time

Many thanks for your feedback!

Drone legs at 0:45 - Cropping would have helped without loosing much resolution. Nice footage but not much that was happening.

You've got some nice footage to work with but I get the feeling that you wanted to just use everything you had. I would do a totally new edit cutting out bit's were you see the drone, cutting the not to good shots, shortening some of the shot lengths. I think if you do that you'll end up with a much nicer piece.