Thread: DADs are history

Default DADs are history

After buying an imac to continue my amateur film making, I see that Apple have sent DVDs to the trash can. They tell me to put my movies in the cloud or on YouTube. What am I supposed to do now? How do we share our movies with people who (a) Don't have a computer, (b) Don't have access to the internet and finally all have different TVs with different formats for playing movies. I can't even find a way of formatting a single drive to store movies on that is comparable with both pc and TV. I despare.

Ray

Blog Entries

1) Buy a cheap external DVD burner for about 20. 2) export your movie using the software's highest setting, 3) use the bundled software or buy a cheap DVD authoring tool to convert your video.

Thank you Marc, although you have taken the time to respond, for which I am grateful, me not giving the full story in the original thread has mislead some people who read it. Firstly the title should have read DVDs not DADs sorry for that.
    I have Imovie from Apple, but you can't import anything you have on DVD. It won't burn, you need IDVD which saves only in certain formats, not the type that will play on my TV. Apple say DVDs are history so I am looking for a way of storing and playing my library of home movies......on mine and others TVs ..

Believe me its not easy at all. My Panasonic DVD player only recognises mp2 video or AVCHD I can't find converters that do it....they claim they do, but they don't. If DVDs are history as Apple claim how can we share our home movies? Not everyone has a PC. Apple say the cloud!!! Sorry big brother I don't want to do that. Ray

Put it on YouTube or Vimeo

send the link to your friends and family

let them watch it

if they don't have a computer, they probably have a phone

Pretty much any TV that you buy in 2015 has a link to youtube

if it's your Nan, then just buy her an iPad - she deserves one

Im not sure what to tell you - DVDs are done - CDs are done - Blueray is done - books are done - it's all done

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time. I wonder what George Orwell would make of it all. R

Quote Originally Posted by mufinman69 View Post
    Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time. I wonder what George Orwell would make of it all. R
    dunno about Orwell - HDT would head back to Walden Pond for sure - of course he'd make sure his iPad (or *gasp* android tablet) has the cellular data option

Yeah, I heard CD's are gone within the next 5 years and DVDs are right there with them. If you are that concerned about sharing with a few outdated friends/family, pick up a few dirt cheap android tablets and teach them to at least email. Then send them links. I do find it hard to believe that once on YouTube you can't find a way to take the video and burn it onto a dvd. There are tons of audio ripping sites to remove the audio surely there is something for ripping video?
    good luck!!