Thread: Course based learning in filmmaking

Default Course based learning in filmmaking

Has anybody here tried taking a MOOC related to or in filmmaking (a MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course, typically free)? There are some tailored to specific video editing programs and others to the creative process of scriptwriting and storyboarding etc. For anyone who would want to track their development in skills and knowledge this kind of approach would surely be ideal. What are your thoughts? Has anybody here taken an online course in areas of filmmaking?

Additionally I just noticed the earlier thread posted by Tim and followed the link. That particular course looks great and cannot wait to get started on that. Right now an IT diploma is lurking over me, but certainly for the near future if it is still running by then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SP Freely View Post
    Additionally I just noticed the earlier thread posted by Tim and followed the link. That particular course looks great and cannot wait to get started on that. Right now an IT diploma is lurking over me, but certainly for the near future if it is still running by then.
    Don't get too exited. it was OK for teaching non-filmmakers about waht's involved in making a film, but not really a course about how to make films.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Don't get too exited. it was OK for teaching non-filmmakers about waht's involved in making a film, but not really a course about how to make films.
    while Tim is correct, the course is nonetheless worthwhile and I would recommend it to you as a starting point

once you've finished the course, you need to master script-writing and cinematography

in in order to master the former, you need to get your hands on the tv scripts for all twelve episodes of Fawlty Towers and become familiar with every gag - then you will be ready to write your own scripts

in order to master the latter, you need to watch every Hitchcock film and then read up on how to do the effects - "looming" is a particularly good one - then you will be all set

zam