Thread: Edit Full HD video in a dell xps 17 l701x

Default Edit Full HD video in a dell xps 17 l701x

Hi guys hope you are doing well.
    I m planning to buy a full hd camera (Panasonic) for my video art projects.
    The main question that arise is if i will be able to edit the videos I film in Full HD in my old dell xps 17 l701x
    Here are the specs of my computer:

The Built in display resolution is 1600x900

My video card is an Nvidia GeForce GT 435M

Might it be enough to edit FullHD??

Thanx in advance,
    Pablo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Aljanati View Post
    Might it be enough to edit FullHD??
    Yes. And no.
    It rather depends on what you mean by editing. If you have several video streams at once (eg picture in picture, one showing through another) - that'll slow it down. If you do much in the way of grading/colour correction, that'll slow it down. If you are adding lots of effects, that'll slow it down. Indeed whatever you throw at it, it will probably cope, but the more you throw at it, the slower it will get so you won't be able to edit or play back in real time.

But this is normal. When editing I regularly turn down the resolution/turn off effects whilst concentrating on the timing and turn them all back on to concentrate on the visual elements (colour/fx etc)

If you struggle you may well find that transcoding your video to a more editor friendly codec will help.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yes. And no.
    It rather depends on what you mean by editing. If you have several video streams at once (eg picture in picture, one showing through another) - that'll slow it down. If you do much in the way of grading/colour correction, that'll slow it down. If you are adding lots of effects, that'll slow it down. Indeed whatever you throw at it, it will probably cope, but the more you throw at it, the slower it will get so you won't be able to edit or play back in real time.

But this is normal. When editing I regularly turn down the resolution/turn off effects whilst concentrating on the timing and turn them all back on to concentrate on the visual elements (colour/fx etc)

If you struggle you may well find that transcoding your video to a more editor friendly codec will help.

Hi Tim, thank you for your response.
    So, it means that i can edit and export HD video even if i have a native resolution of 1600x900? I know it might be a hard work when working with many effects, but the most important thing for me is that i can do it.
    That was my main doubt.
    Even if i have to downsample the video for editing, i can sync it later with the HD for when needed.
    And i have a new question. In the HD cameras, is there a possibility to record in lower resolutions? My idea is to make a good investment and use it to its maximum if needed. I m thinking in a Panasonic HC- series...

Thanx,

Pablo

Blog Entries

So, it means that i can edit and export HD video even if i have a native resolution of 1600x900?
    Indeed. The resolution of the screen has nothing to do with it (aside from being able to display full screen in full resolution). It won't affect the editing.
    Even if i have to downsample the video for editing, i can sync it later with the HD for when needed.
    That depends on your software. The word to look for is "proxy".
    And i have a new question. In the HD cameras, is there a possibility to record in lower resolutions? My idea is to make a good investment and use it to its maximum if needed. I m thinking in a Panasonic HC- series...
    Just record art the highest resolution and bitrate you can. Downsize in the computer if necessary. The only exception I'd make to this is there's no need to record at double (or higher) frame rates unless you intend to use slo-mo, and/or go lower if you need to record for longer than the media can hold (as lower resolutions require less capacity)
    Tim

Thumbs up Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Indeed. The resolution of the screen has nothing to do with it (aside from being able to display full screen in full resolution). It won't affect the editing.

That depends on your software. The word to look for is "proxy".

Just record art the highest resolution and bitrate you can. Downsize in the computer if necessary. The only exception I'd make to this is there's no need to record at double (or higher) frame rates unless you intend to use slo-mo, and/or go lower if you need to record for longer than the media can hold (as lower resolutions require less capacity)

Hello Tim, thanx a lot for your advices,very clear and helpful.