Thread: Cutting out very short clips in .webm

Default Cutting out very short clips in .webm

Hi everybody
    I'm pretty much a complete beginner, this is just a small thing I'm trying to do
    I want to cut out portions in webm videos that can be extremely small, like a few frames long
    I've been using Solveig Video Splitter, and it works if the segment is in the middle of a video, but if it's at the beginning or the end and it's too short it doesn't work and the result is the same as the original video.
    Their website says this program works with "K-frames", I don't know what that is but I figure it might have something to do with it.
    I can't use time-based indications (like "cut from : 06:12 to 06:30") since I'm working with such short timeframes, I prefer a timeline where I can zoom in and see the thumbnails. Solveig Video Splitter is actually good with that, but as I said it's not working here.

Anybody has an idea?
    Thanks

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John5647374 View Post
    Hi everybody
    I've been using Solveig Video Splitter, and it works if the segment is in the middle of a video, but if it's at the beginning or the end and it's too short it doesn't work and the result is the same as the original video. Their website says this program works with "K-frames", I don't know what that is but I figure it might have something to do with it.
    I don't know about Solveig Video Splitter, but generally, K-Frames are Keyframes.
    "A key frame [...] is a drawing that defines the starting and ending points of any smooth transition. The drawings are called "frames" because their position in time is measured in frames on a strip of film. A sequence of key frames defines which movement the viewer will see, whereas the position of the key frames on the film, video or animation defines the timing of the movement. Because only two or three key frames over the span of a second do not create the illusion of movement, the remaining frames are filled with inbetweens." (from: Wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by John5647374 View Post
    I can't use time-based indications (like "cut from : 06:12 to 06:30") since I'm working with such short timeframes, I prefer a timeline where I can zoom in and see the thumbnails. Solveig Video Splitter is actually good with that, but as I said it's not working here. Anybody has an idea?
    Thanks
    Why don't you use Adobes Premiere Pro or Avid Media Composer, which are advanced video editing programs, but thanks to the internet, its easy to get the hang of trimming video.
    As I am using Media Composer and Premiere Pro myself, I can confirm, that is possible to achieve what you are looking for in just 3 0r 4 keystrokes (setting an IN and OUT point, then extracting the video between those points. These video segments can be as short as 1 Frame). Check out Adobes or Avids trial.
    Hope I could help

Thanks for the reply. I have an idea what keyframes are, but I figured "K-frames" might be something more specific, hence the name.
    I usually avoid those 30-days trials because I just need to do things very sporadically, so it's not much use to me. Turns out I had a lot of problems with these, not accepting webms, not working, or Avid changing my Windows color scheme (?!)... I finally got Premiere CS6 to work and was lucky enough to find a plugin for webms for it, but sadly it manages to import but not export the file, no matter the export format (the message is literally "Unknown error").
    I think I'm done here, I didn't really need to do this anyway. I was just hoping for a simple, straightforward program that would be good enough and not those big bloated things.