Thread: A Good Workflow for a short Documentary?

Default A Good Workflow for a short Documentary?

hello everyone, i'm that new guy

i have a more general question about editing. but first

introducing the project
    i have to do a 3-5 min segment promoting a certain area for investors. it will be packed with informations, but will be told in a light and humorous manner. i have lots of video material, illustrations and i'm creating some 3D content by myself and can order video material when sth is missing. there will be an actress doing a voice over, but the text that she provides isnt ready, cause she doesnt know the editing.

i mainly do 3D animations and music stuff, but i have never done sth like this. i'm working with adobe cc. I'm looking for a adequate workflow with adobe cc. how do i start, how do i set it up?
    i made myself a script, that isnt very precise. not every illustration is in the script. i constantly get new material and i said i just go with the flow.

i was thinking:
    using premiere to set up the main file. making it like 5 minutes long and start putting stuff in there, filling it up and position it in the timeline. just a rough edit with rough timing, no fancy after effects at that point. then i can go with that edit to the actress and we could work out the text and timing and the cuts, maybe record the voice-over at that point. then i could refine the premiere file with all the after effects magic (thanks adobe for your dynamic links).

maybe you could think of it more like a documentary.

how would YOU do sth. like this? is this a good way?

every hint is one more than i have right now

cheers!
    seersense
    Last edited by seersense; 07-20-2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: unclear title

Blog Entries

I'd work from the voiceover backwards. In other words get natural sounding speech patterns and base all your timing around this. There will probably be times when too much video material is required (note required - not desired) for the time allowed in the speech. Just lengthen the pauses between sentences to accommodate,

I do all my documentaries this way - work and work on the script. then fit the images around that. A great image or sequence which does not have a proper place in the script does not belong in the film. Equally sometime we have to pad out images in order to ensure essential elements in the voiceover are given time to be properly expressed.

Just my 2p worth

BTW that's not a rule. Most people I know wotk the other way - they have images and then develop a script to fit that, but it seems totally unnatural to me - forcing words to fit images that they happen to have.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-20-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    Tim

Hello Tim!
    I havent thought af that. Thats a really good hint that will make things easier. Even when i hate working on scripts :/ well...gotta do it. i'm sure Wong Kar Wei disagrees, but its not going to be that artsy

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by seersense View Post
    hello everyone, i'm that new guy

i have a more general question about editing. but first

introducing the project
    i have to do a 3-5 min segment promoting a certain area for investors. it will be packed with informations, but will be told in a light and humorous manner. i have lots of video material, illustrations and i'm creating some 3D content by myself and can order video material when sth is missing. there will be an actress doing a voice over, but the text that she provides isnt ready, cause she doesnt know the editing.

i mainly do 3D animations and music stuff, but i have never done sth like this. i'm working with adobe cc. I'm looking for a adequate workflow with adobe cc. how do i start, how do i set it up?
    i made myself a script, that isnt very precise. not every illustration is in the script. i constantly get new material and i said i just go with the flow.

i was thinking:
    using premiere to set up the main file. making it like 5 minutes long and start putting stuff in there, filling it up and position it in the timeline. just a rough edit with rough timing, no fancy after effects at that point. then i can go with that edit to the actress and we could work out the text and timing and the cuts, maybe record the voice-over at that point. then i could refine the premiere file with all the after effects magic (thanks adobe for your dynamic links).

maybe you could think of it more like a documentary.

how would YOU do sth. like this? is this a good way?

every hint is one more than i have right now

cheers!
    seersense
    when you say "for investors", this means your video needs to address a small number of specific concerns:

- what am I investing in
    - why am I investing in it
    - when will I see a return on my investment
    - how much of a return can I expect

if you are promoting a new product then you need to add:

- what are the competing products on the market today
    - why is this product better
    - is the product protected (patent)
    - how long would it take the competition to catch up

I've made this type of material for VC companies and they aren't generally very receptive to "light and humorous" - it really is just about the dollars - keep it simple

i'm not trying to discourage you, but if this is a pitch to a VC, then they won't be smiling and they just want the facts