Thread: Hang Gliding Expedition 3 - the adventure re-begins again!

Default Hang Gliding Expedition 3 - the adventure re-begins again!

I decided to go back to basics for this series - I'm heading out in about an hour but here is the first instalment from last nite ...

Probably add another camera angle or two. Vloggers tend to film from above for a more appealing perspective. Not that you look bad at all

Thanks man

i didn't get around to describing the instruments yet - here is day one

It looks so peaceful, I'm quite envious. What could be better than peeling so freely!
    rock on!

Here is day 2 ...

Blog Entries

Forgive me for laughing at "and none of that is really relevant, what's really relevant is the sound it makes" *awful bleeping noise*. Shame on me for thinking that was a joke. (I also thought you were joking when you said the most important thing was a flight computer). I can only apologise.

I also laughed when the bloke fell over. For this, I don't apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Forgive me for laughing at "and none of that is really relevant, what's really relevant is the sound it makes" *awful bleeping noise*. Shame on me for thinking that was a joke. (I also thought you were joking when you said the most important thing was a flight computer). I can only apologise. I also laughed when the bloke fell over. For this, I don't apologise.
    When I started flying I thought the noise was awful too, but over time I got used to it - I guess it's like single malt scotch that way - it tastes awful but it's really really really good - the sound has to be shrill to be audible over the wind noise and you can't be staring at a display in traffic - I recently ordered a new flight computer which adheres to my helmet - it is audio-only

Tony (the guy who slipped in the video) is very passionate about the safety of his students but definitely has his moments

Some people can fly hang gliders and some people can't - unfortunately you only find out when you are several hundred feet off the ground - back in the day, my instructor basically said "Ok, now I'm going to tow you up to 1000 feet, and we'll find out whether you can fly" - he towed me up, then (on the radio) told me to push out until the glider stalled, then told me to let go and let the glider recover - it was quite an experience, but I focused on what he was telling me to do and it worked out - "if at first you don't succeed, don't take up hang-gliding"

Yesterday I spent the morning with a 17-year-old girl (Shalila) who flew circles around me - she's a natural pilot who rises in thermals without any instruments - she is more at home in the air than on the ground - I've been flying for 30 years, keep up on all the theory, have mastered the instruments (my video commentary notwithstanding) - flying is a very rewarding but often humbling experience

in any event, here is day 3 ...

Last edited by zamiotana; 07-18-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: lost part of a sentence the first time