Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best HD format for finnished project in Sony Vegas?

Default Best HD format for finnished project in Sony Vegas?

Hi guys. Been asked to film in HD for first time on my Sony z1e.

Whats best format to render to when project is finnished?

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Whats best format to render to when project is finnished?
    For what purpose?

• Archiving - ProRes 422 or DNxHD or higher bitrate h.264 all work well. If you don't plan on re-editing from this file then h.264 is generally fine.

• Delivery over the web = h.264 almost every time.

Other applications? Let us know what you need....

Thanks for getting back to me.

Its for a production company I freelance for. They do stuff for TV and I shoot interviews for them. Until now they have been happy with stuff in DV but now they want it in HD

Never worked in HD so its all new to me.

Probably best to ask them what they want then.

They make take things straight from camera (e.g. card image) and just ingest that, otherwise it means you're editing / transcoding it and it's best to ask them rather than making assumptions.

When freelancers work for me I generally just take a card image and I'll do all the rest.

This is what they have asked for

Preferred: Pro Res 422 (HQ) (.MOV)1920 x 108025 fps (PAL) (or 29.97 NTSC)Audio where applicable: At least: one comms track and one clean track.48KHz Linear PCM/24 bit integar

XDCAM HD 422 1080i50 (.MXF)1920 x 108025 fps (PAL) (or 29.97 NTSC)Audio where applicable: At least: one comms track and one clean track.48KHz Linear PCM/24 bit integar

H.264 HD (.MOV or .MP4)1920 x 108025 fps (PAL) (or 29.97 NTSC)Audio where applicable: At least: one comms track and one clean track.48KHZ AAC Stereo/MonoBit Rate greater than 15Mpbs

Problem is they are using Final Cut and when I try and save to the above it is not recognised by the Apple computer. Apple does not recognise the m2t files that are created by my Sony z1e camera.

I would be very surprised if Vegas can't output to either XDCAM (it's a sony format!) or H.264.....

It may be that their specific software doesn't import m2t files directly, or needs a plugin, but this is not an 'Apple Computer' problem, you just need to use different software to convert it (running on an Apple ).

Vegas can do XDCAM but my apple computer does not recognise it when I checked to see if it was working prior to sending it to them.

Using what software?

Final Cut pro X, I am only getting to grips with it now thats why i use Vegas for any work.

OK - download the trial version of EditReady (Divergent Media) and see if that will read/transcode your M2T files ready for FCPX.

I use EditReady on all native media now, though I don't use Sony, I understand it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast