Thread: How to highlight 'mouse' click

Default How to highlight 'mouse' click

Hi everyone,

I am tasked with creating a tutorial for an app created by the company I work for. I have recorded the video from an iPad and am now editing. What I would like to do is highlight the area or button that has been clicked as it is not clear without a mouse pointer to follow. How do I achieve this? I have looked at using the Eclipse tool in the Media Generators, but I am unable to make the rectangle or ellipse small enough to just fit round the button or area, because the window it comes up in cannot be expanded? Plus, I don't think it looks that good, it looks cheap. There must be a better way of doing this?

HELP!!

Thanks,

Adam

Just realised I hadn't put in here that I was using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13
    Last edited by Adamjesney; 07-07-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Work

Blog Entries

What I would do is this - I'm pretty certain all these capabilities are in Movie Studio, it's a while since I've used it. No doubt vkmast will come along and confirm or otherwise - an dthen come up with a neater solution

Track 2 - your iPad video
    Track 1 - Generated Media - Solid Colour (eg solid red)
    Drop a Sony Cookie Cutter FX on the solid Red event, choose the "Circle, Center" preset, and reduce the size to suit
    Reduce the gain (opacity) of the solid red event so that the button beneath shows through
    Use Track motion on track 1 to position the circle

Job done

You could have several shorter "red" events of alternating opacity to draw more attention to the blob (ie a blinking effect) In pro this is even easier as you'd do it with an envelope
    You an also add a border around the circle
    Instead of creating a red solid, you could duplicate the iPad track, put the cookie cutter on one and do all sorts of playing around with the bit that shows through..
    There's fun to be had. But a job to be done
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    What I would do is this - I'm pretty certain all these capabilities are in Movie Studio, it's a while since I've used it. No doubt vkmast will come along and confirm or otherwise - an dthen come up with a neater solution
    Tim's right, all he suggests are available in MSP 13 as well. He's not right in that I'd come up with a neater solution. Not even if I was awake .

Btw, does the OP remember that he can enter a value (e.g. 0.075) in the relevant box.

4. Default

Back when I was a "Media Author" at Sun Microsystems we used a screen capture tool that had a mouse click highlighting option. I don't know if that would be an acceptable effect compared to highlighting the button, but it will get it done with a lot less effort. That is, if you turn on the feature before you capture. It's been a few years but I think we may have been using Camtasia.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    we used a screen capture tool that had a mouse click highlighting option.
    I think you missed the bit about it being an iPad and how it would be easier if there was a mouse cursor
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think you missed the bit about it being an iPad and how it would be easier if there was a mouse cursor
    I figured it would highlight a finger tap like a mouse click and that that might serve to indicate which button had been activated as effectively as highlighting the button in post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I figured it would highlight a finger tap like a mouse click and that that might serve to indicate which button had been activated as effectively as highlighting the button in post.
    My apologies. It seems like it might be possible Camtasia for iPad doesn't appear to exist yet but ...
    Tim