Thread: Let's keep it amateur

Blog Entries

Default Let's keep it amateur

The forums have been going for about 12 years now. As with most groups, we've had peaks of activity and the more quiet times.

What's apparent to me is that a core group here have a common passion for amateur film making. We don't get paid for what we share here and it's all done for fun. Whilst we all, in some form or other, have good business knowledge, and may even have paid experience of film making, we are here for fun.

On a related note, although there's normally relatively few cases of aggression in the forums, they usually occur as a result of "professional" matters.

So putting those two things together, I'd like to keep these forums strictly amateur from now on. There are a number of forums for wedding videos and commercial videography, and I would like to keep this site solely for amateur filmmaking.

If you see threads deleted or closed that relate to paid or otherwise professional work, this is why.

Blog Entries

+1

Good idea!

oooo! what have i missed ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Marc - I hearby name you an honorary Canadian

your first duty is to remove your beer from the window sill and place it in the fridge
    Last edited by zamiotana; 07-07-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo

Do you think it would be better to have a page just for commercial questions?

ANything that falls under that banner could be moved there.

It would be a shame to lose any members from the forum .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Do you think it would be better to have a page just for commercial questions?

ANything that falls under that banner could be moved there.

It would be a shame to lose any members from the forum .
    That's a great suggestion and one we tried before. There wasn't really much use of it though and it was archived a while back.

The event videography market is pretty cut throat and it often results in arguments or put downs, particularly against new businesses. I do this for fun (I earn nothing from the site), so it's also a bit weird that it would be used by professionals.

But I don't think any of that really impacts on you mate. Your recent post about cameras isn't a "pro" question for example. What I want to avoid are questions about the operational side of business and links to professional sites.

I want to focus on sharing our work and helping people improve. I love the "how do I do this" or the "how can I do this better" questions. I want people to feel like they can share and learn here.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    That's a great suggestion and one we tried before. There wasn't really much use of it though and it was archived a while back.

The event videography market is pretty cut throat and it often results in arguments or put downs, particularly against new businesses. I do this for fun (I earn nothing from the site), so it's also a bit weird that it would be used by professionals.

But I don't think any of that really impacts on you mate. Your recent post about cameras isn't a "pro" question for example. What I want to avoid are questions about the operational side of business and links to professional sites.

I want to focus on sharing our work and helping people improve. I love the "how do I do this" or the "how can I do this better" questions. I want people to feel like they can share and learn here.

Does that make sense?
    I realize I'm new and not super active yet but that makes sense to me. I've learned a great deal about recording music from another forum I've been active in and already have had some very useful and much appreciated help from this site. In my opinion I do hope to use or apply this to my career (I'm a musician/entertainer) but I am probably not even an amateur yet. I'm just glad there are others like yourselves that so freely offer to share the knowledge you have gained through your experiences.
    Thanks & Rock On!

OK - so if people coming here asking advice are looking for help on something that they may potentially make money from (including YouTube adverts) we should ignore them?

If someone shoots freelance, even if it's only once in a while and they come looking for advice (maybe an editing question, maybe a gear question) we should ignore them too?

If someone is looking for help with the aim of a future career in film making, so they are hoping to 'not' be an amateur in the future, should we send them elsewhere?

I just need to know where the line between amateur and 'not' amateur is being drawn so I don't help anyone I'm not supposed to.
    Last edited by David Partington; 07-12-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Blog Entries

As with the other rules on the forums, the moderators will take any action as required.

10. Default

Makes sense when you put it like that. A lot of forums end up in people slagging each other off.

I am a "how do I do this" and "how can I do this better" type of guy.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post

Does that make sense?