Thread: Video Series Practice. Critiques and suggestions Welcome

1. Default Video Series Practice. Critiques and suggestions Welcome

Its a class assignment to create a video series. I've done a couple of these before, this is my latest one. I'm looking for opinions on editing, lighting, sound, etc. I'm not so good on camera, so it is usually hard work to piece together a coherent dialog. But its mainly to develop production skills. I film most of the stuff in my garage with very inexpensive equipment, which is the theme of the series, low cost production tips.

Anyways, this one is on connecting a cheap 3.5mm microphone to a combo XLR 1/4" input on a recorder. Thanks for watching...

Other Episodes:
    Cheap $20 Monitor turned into an External DSLR Monitor
    The Handlepod - Universal Camcorder Mount
    How to make your own budget Green Screen Studio
    Use a Tripod to Make Flycam / Steadicam and a Shoulder Rig
    Cheap Quality Microphones for Video
    Last edited by sharkie002; 07-04-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Sharkie,
    Given the nature of your questions I'm assuming you're inviting us to be picky.
    I like the general style. It's lively, explains the problem, how you went about investigating it, what you found and your conclusions.
    I did feel it was ratrher too long for the subject matter and you could easily lop a minute and a half off it without losing anything.
    I liked the editing style, which felt paced correctly for the content (just the content was too long!)
    I liked the dutch tilt and the attempts to mix a variety of shots, however several shots did not work for me:
    1. Composition: eg 0:36 - the black band down the left side of the image is not pleasing.
    2. Clarity: 0:27 - you point out the XLR connections by covering them up with your fingers! (And not even revealing them afterwards)
    3. Lighting: (a) You desperately needed some sort of fill light/reflector on you and/or to move your key forward. Several times you cast your own shadow onto the right side of your body (your left) and this causes quite a nasty distraction. This happens throughout but one example would be in the tilt shot at 0:42. I'm guessing this was self shot as I have similar problems. A separate cameraman would spot this when filming (at least anyone who is vaguely capable would - I'm guilty of not spotting it til the edit!). (b) I'd also like to see a bit more light in your eyes. (c) You should really be brighter than your background. The eye is always drawn towards brighter things and here we want to be seeing you. I can see you cannot safely add more light to you (other than filling in the aforementioned shadows) so the only solution is to reduce the background lighting - lose or move the softlight on the greenscreen for starters.

Your voice is recorded cleanly and you speak clearly, however I can't help feeling the delivery is rather "flat" especially when the music is jaunty.

The intro was too long - specifically the held shot at 0:07-0:13

Script-wise there was a bit of an inconsitency in that you mentioned about the TASCAM recorder having XLR connectors and then proceeded to talk about the 1/4" jack. I know they're combos and so would anyone else who's likely to watch this, but might as well get it right.

Oh - and really picky - you jogged the ironing board (!) slightly at one point which i thought was camera shake.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks Tim. I really appreciate your feedback. It really helps me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi Sharkie,
    Given the nature of your questions I'm assuming you're inviting us to be picky.
    I like the general style. It's lively, explains the problem, how you went about investigating it, what you found and your conclusions.
    I did feel it was ratrher too long for the subject matter and you could easily lop a minute and a half off it without losing anything.
    I liked the editing style, which felt paced correctly for the content (just the content was too long!)
    I liked the dutch tilt and the attempts to mix a variety of shots, however several shots did not work for me:
    1. Composition: eg 0:36 - the black band down the left side of the image is not pleasing.
    2. Clarity: 0:27 - you point out the XLR connections by covering them up with your fingers! (And not even revealing them afterwards)
    3. Lighting: (a) You desperately needed some sort of fill light/reflector on you and/or to move your key forward. Several times you cast your own shadow onto the right side of your body (your left) and this causes quite a nasty distraction. This happens throughout but one example would be in the tilt shot at 0:42. I'm guessing this was self shot as I have similar problems. A separate cameraman would spot this when filming (at least anyone who is vaguely capable would - I'm guilty of not spotting it til the edit!). (b) I'd also like to see a bit more light in your eyes. (c) You should really be brighter than your background. The eye is always drawn towards brighter things and here we want to be seeing you. I can see you cannot safely add more light to you (other than filling in the aforementioned shadows) so the only solution is to reduce the background lighting - lose or move the softlight on the greenscreen for starters.

Your voice is recorded cleanly and you speak clearly, however I can't help feeling the delivery is rather "flat" especially when the music is jaunty.

The intro was too long - specifically the held shot at 0:07-0:13

Script-wise there was a bit of an inconsitency in that you mentioned about the TASCAM recorder having XLR connectors and then proceeded to talk about the 1/4" jack. I know they're combos and so would anyone else who's likely to watch this, but might as well get it right.

Oh - and really picky - you jogged the ironing board (!) slightly at one point which i thought was camera shake.
    I thought it was great

Tim's comments are bang on except I'm guessing that the "more light in your eyes" comment could be addressed simply by easing up on the Mary Jane just before shooting

do you lose any fidelity in the sound as a result of your solution? That's the question in my mind after watching your video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkie002 View Post
    Thanks Tim. I really appreciate your feedback. It really helps me a lot.
    You're welcome, Sharkie. Just remember to treat all my comments as serving suggestions rather than gospel. Including this one
    Tim

I thought it looked great, perhaps a bit long but it looked very slick. I like the Tascam stuff, I have the DP-008 I use to record my music & the Dr-V1HD also.
    Rock On!

The background music's volume is too high for my taste.