Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Assembling a professional 4k/6k video-editing-Workstation

  1. #1

    Question Assembling a professional 4k/6k video-editing-Workstation

    Hi,

    I have a nice conquest to solve. I assemble computers for people since many years now and a friend of mine asked me to plan a 4k/6k workstation for him.

    Im experienced with selecting good parts, but then it comes to video-editing I thought it is the best to get me some help from people that are into this domain.

    The only thing that is a fixed component is the video editing card he told me, as he is filming with the "Red Dragon Kamera"

    He needs this video editing card

    As you can see the card alone costs like aprox. 7000$, so the rest of the workstation should be suitable to that high class of hardware!!

    Im now thinking about different kinds of solution. For example then it comes to the CPU I could say: letz think big and take the "Intel Core i7-4960x hexa core"
    But on the other side a "smaller" CPU maybe fits its usage enough.

    The total budget is not clear at this time. I think he is like "I need a solid station, so I can work with 6k and have fun, money plays no role"

    So now I have to plan the different stations, like: Which SSD/HDD, storage-concept (as projects in 6k are huge in storage-room needed)

    And the biggest of all questions first:

    We want to build a "Hackintosh" with all these components. So I have to determine if all the components work in a hackintosh-build. Think the video-editing-card could be a problem, should ask in some of the hackintoshforums for that.


    If anybody have some impressions it would be nice.

    greetz from germany, and sry for my english, didnt train it since school

    revnu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    I think it would be good if you could meet with a local professional video production company in your area - they could show you their stuff and explain the many trade offs - setting up a 4k or 6k workflow means making sure each step has proper support, from capture to final production

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I think it would be good if you could meet with a local professional video production company in your area - they could show you their stuff and explain the many trade offs - setting up a 4k or 6k workflow means making sure each step has proper support, from capture to final production
    Shooting with a RED suggests his friend already is that video production company.

  4. #4

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Shooting with a RED suggests his friend already is that video production company.
    Letz say hes working with them

    Ive no problem with scambling together a good system with an Intel i7-4790, bunch of SSDs, or maybe few 4 TB HDD in raid, putting in much RAM und build a hackintosh with that.

    But as im not that experienced with video-editing on that professional level and even with 6k (so you have to handle massive data-bandwiths, without lags,etc), it would be nice if anybody has some suggestions on the benefits of that 1100 CPU I posted. Or maybe I take a i7-4930k (12mb cache)

    Also im very interessted in experiece values comparing fast HDDs in raid, with SSDs......as im not sure yet if it is better to build a hybrid system (OS on SSD and videodata on RAID-HDDs) or work with SSDs at all, as SSD prices allow that now I think.

    btw, I just get the info, that the budget should be around 3000 (video-editing card not included of course)


    thx 4 any suggestions

    revnu

  5. #5

    Default

    Ok,

    As I can read in this article the video editing performance of the i7-4960x is not worth that much extramoney. So I think its wise to not go further than a i7-4930k, or even a i7-4790 will be fine I think, and we could put the extra-money in a solid storage-solution, as 6k-projects will eat much space. (even if my friend told me, that this red-camera has a good compressed format)


    EDIT: OK I think I found a sweet spot-CPU for his purposes:

    Intel i7-5820k 15MB Cache, 6 cores, LGA2011-v3, aprox 400


    greetz
    Last edited by revnu; 07-04-2015 at 07:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Shooting with a RED suggests his friend already is that video production company.
    !!!

    if this is a red camera, then you should talk to the company - I understand they are very helpful and want their customers to be successful

    just curious - what is the film about? - it must be something unreal if you need to film it in 6k! - are you bungee jumping over machu picchu? - if it's a story about a few of your mates going to the pub and talking about the birds, then you are probably find in 320p
    Last edited by zamiotana; 07-05-2015 at 12:40 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    !!!

    if this is a red camera, then you should talk to the company - I understand they are very helpful and want their customers to be successful

    just curious - what is the film about? - it must be something unreal if you need to film it in 6k! - are you bungee jumping over machu picchu? - if it's a story about a few of your mates going to the pub and talking about the birds, then you are probably find in 320p

    Im sry to say, but your answers are typical OFFTOPIC and usual tread-destroyers. As I have TECHNICAL questions and you simply just saying things like, "talk to the company", "what is the film about?"

    I know this hurts your ego now and you go on spamming my tread with offtopic-stuff.....so plz stay just out with your unhelpfull input.


    sry, to be that harsh, but this happens often in forums and it is really NOT helpfull.


    I know there are people out there, that are firm then it comes to selecting the right parts to make a good workstation......anyway if noone is willing to help im going to investigate for myself and present the system here, so other people with similar plans could look here.....

    any impressions (that are focused on the technical side of a good workstation) are welcome


    revnu

  8. #8

    Default

    TBH, I think this is something you should probably raise on the RED forums ( http://www.reduser.net/forum/forum.php ) since those guys are much more familiar with implementing these types of solutions. There is a specific section on post-producton hardware. http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdi...ction-HARDWARE

    While I've built and used a Hackintosh previously, it was never quite as stable as my genuine MacPro and I always had in the back of my mind that when it came time to apply updates the Hackintosh could break at any time as new Apple code may not be compatible over write any of the hacks. Make sure you understand what this all entails because when it breaks he's likely to come back to you to fix it!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    TBH, I think this is something you should probably raise on the RED forums ( http://www.reduser.net/forum/forum.php ) since those guys are much more familiar with implementing these types of solutions. There is a specific section on post-producton hardware. http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdi...ction-HARDWARE

    While I've built and used a Hackintosh previously, it was never quite as stable as my genuine MacPro and I always had in the back of my mind that when it came time to apply updates the Hackintosh could break at any time as new Apple code may not be compatible over write any of the hacks. Make sure you understand what this all entails because when it breaks he's likely to come back to you to fix it!

    I will check out this section.


    A few years ago I made a hackintosh for a friend, for audio-producing. It is rock solid. It is not connected to the internet and is in his studio. The Software keeps being the same (LogicX) and he dont need changes, as the machine fits his need as it is. Wondering if that could be managed for this planned videocut-workstation.

    Anyway im wondering if this >6000$ cutting-card is only for PCs, as many producers work with final-cut and Premiere on MACs.....

    read some articles, there red-cards was used in hackintoshs, but had no time yet to investigate further

    greetz revnu

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revnu View Post
    I will check out this section.


    A few years ago I made a hackintosh for a friend, for audio-producing. It is rock solid. It is not connected to the internet and is in his studio. The Software keeps being the same (LogicX) and he dont need changes, as the machine fits his need as it is. Wondering if that could be managed for this planned videocut-workstation.
    The problem here is that (for example) Final Cut Pro 10.2 required me to update to Yosemite which I understand broke many people's Hackintoshes and they needed rebuilding (OS drive). That's a major PITA compared to just hitting update on my real MacPro and iMac.


    Quote Originally Posted by revnu View Post
    Anyway im wondering if this >6000$ cutting-card is only for PCs, as many producers work with final-cut and Premiere on MACs.....

    read some articles, there red-cards was used in hackintoshs, but had no time yet to investigate further

    greetz revnu
    For that sort of price I'd be seriously tempted to just buy the new MacPro with the dual GPUs upgraded to the max (700s) because they will generally work perfectly with RED raw footage (lots of people using them) and can play 14 streams of 4K in real time !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Professional Video Editing Software !!!
    By chrisamirani in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
  2. Professional Video Editing...Beginners,Please Help
    By awaisagha in forum Wedding and Event Videography
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 08:46 AM
  3. Please describe your AVCHD editing workstation
    By scvideo in forum AVCHD and HDV editing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM
  4. new editing workstation on the cheap
    By sasha in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 06:06 AM
  5. workstation or gaming graphic card for video editing?
    By julianb in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •