Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute beginner seeks the most basic advice

Default Absolute beginner seeks the most basic advice

Ok, total beginner here,
    This is "just for fun to play around with home movies"

When the next iPhone comes out I hope to upgrade to it - if I want to edit the video I take using the next iPhone , what do I need

Windows or apple ?
    Laptop or desktop ?
    Minimum spec ?
    Easy to use but good software ?

I also have a canon eos 650d with its video mode .mov files which would be good to use in conjunction with iPhone .

Any advice = eternal love

Quote Originally Posted by leelyons View Post
    Windows or apple ?
    Either, use what you prefer.

Laptop or desktop ?
    Either, use what you prefer.

Minimum spec ?
    Probably Core2Duo with 4GB, but better CPU, more RAM and better GPU can only help.

Easy to use but good software ?
    Lots out there from free (iMovie, Windows Movie Maker etc) to expensive (Adobe Suite, Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas, Avid etc).

Thanks David, I just thought apple laptop for apple phone,

Then I thought desktop had better ability for processing without overheating plus the ability to add upgrades ( extra ram etc )

I still have that idea that iPhones and windows arnt easily compatible although maybe that's all been fixed nowadays

Then I thought desktop had better ability for processing without overheating plus the ability to add upgrades ( extra ram etc )
    I'm going to say upfront that I'm a Mac user. I have a MacPro, a couple of iMacs a MacMini and two MacBookPros sat here right now. But does that mean you should be running Apple too? No, you should choose Apple vs Windows based on what you prefer because either / both can do the job.

In terms of upgradability, Apple is making this harder and harder on all it's systems. The laptop versions (MacBookAir, MacBookPro) are pretty much factory configured now and most can't even upgrade the ram. The MacMini is upgradable for RAM only. The iMac is not upgradeable unless you buy the 27" and even then it's only user upgradable for RAM. The MacPro is another beast altogether and beyond most hobbyists.

So, what does all that mean? Well, simply put, Macs are pretty stable, and that's not totally unconnected to their lack of upgradability. Apple (and other people) can write for Apple systems knowing that the spec is the spec.

People writing software for Windows machines have no idea what spec the machine could be because there are so many user configurable parts. However, a well built and configured Windows machine can be just as stable as any Mac, is generally cheaper to buy, is upgradable more easily, though rarely retains the same resale value overall.

I still have that idea that iPhones and windows arnt easily compatible although maybe that's all been fixed nowadays
    The iPhone produces h.264 video files, just like any other small camera. Windows machines can process this just as well as any Mac.

So, as an Apple user I say use what you want, what you're comfortable with and be happy. I've never understood why the Mac vs PC debates get so heated, or why people feel the need to defend their position, as if it was somehow a personal insult if someone else chose something different.

Both can do a great job.

Thanks David, I just thought apple laptop for apple phone,

noooo. footage recorded on your iphone will be fine with windows.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Thanks David and enc - I used to have a jellous hatred of apple until I used an iPhone and was simply blown away by the stability of it ( and my subsequent iPad ) assuming it's easy to upload Iphone files
    (h.264 files - thanks David ) to a windows pc then I might go with windows just because of cost.

Just need to decide desktop for future proofing ( upgrade ability) or laptop, actually I can see the benefit of a desktop with a LARGE screen.

Is full HD screen an important factor to edit h.264 files ?

The size of your screen has nothing to do with the codec, its how much space you've got for your software and critically your viewer window. Obviously being able to view your full HD video in fully HD after it's edited is fairly critical and there are times we see things full screen that we miss in the smaller viewer windows in the software, but we don't edit all the time looking at full screen 1080p.

If you're serious about editing you should be looking at 27" 2550x1440 monitors as the smallest and go higher resolution if you can afford it. Having a second or third screen can help big time too.

Is it needed? No. I've edited complete pieces on my 17" laptop with only 1920x1080, but I have to say I didn't enjoy it!

I agree with all the comments above

i would add that if you go with a MacBook, you will have the option to progress through the following logical steps

imovie on iPhone/ipad
    imovie on MacBook for more flexibility
    fcpx on MacBook for even more flexibility

....and with all laptops you can also plug in larger screens.

What you lose with a laptop is generally CPU/GPU power, but for editing iPhone footage that really shouldn't be a problem.

So the new question now then is -
    Will the next iPhone be sufficient as a recording device or is an HD vid cam going to spectacularly better.
    Despite the iPhone 6 camera specs being close to my canon 650d on paper , I find that still photos from the canon are significantly better than those of my iPhone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast