Thread: Feedback Film Festival

Lightbulb Feedback Film Festival

Hey all,

So I've started my own film festival.

I've spent the past year submitting my animation to about 25 film festivals and although there's still lots to learn I found that applying was more like paying for job interviews. If you didn't get it, you won't get any feedback - just an automated message. So I thought what the heck, let's make my own.

So I made Feedback Film Festival through FilmFreeway with the soul aim of giving good detailed feedback on every entry, pointing out the great bits and suggesting improvements. It's had submissions and it's gone down surprisingly well. So, in its second month I've setup a Thunderclap to see if this could be something real.

In case you don't know, Thunderclap is a similar concept to Kickstarter although there's no money. There's a single message. If 100 people support it within the week, that message will be tweeted / facebook'd out automatically at the same time through everyone's feed to give it the best oomf. If it gets 99 people supporting it, nothing happens and we all go our separate ways.

So, if you think its a good idea, please check out the Thunderclap and throw me some support - and of course share it around! I've got 7 days!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure I get the thunderclap concept

my movies are my art

they get about 10-15 views, on average

if people like them, that's great

if people don't like them, that's great

so I'm not sure what thunderclap would buy me - am I missing something?

plus Facebook blows and Twitter is for girly-men (present company excluded!!!)
    Last edited by zamiotana; 06-23-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Hey,

That's perfectly fair and I'm not against that at all. In fact I'm all for it.

Feedback Film Festival is aimed towards the people already entering or approaching the film festival circuit. It acts as a film festival in itself, but more importantly it gives honest feedback about what works in the film, and gives some advice on any improvements that could be made to aid future entries to other festivals.

Thunderclap is simply a method of getting the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishEye View Post
    Hey,

That's perfectly fair and I'm not against that at all. In fact I'm all for it.

Feedback Film Festival is aimed towards the people already entering or approaching the film festival circuit. It acts as a film festival in itself, but more importantly it gives honest feedback about what works in the film, and gives some advice on any improvements that could be made to aid future entries to other festivals.

Thunderclap is simply a method of getting the word out.
    i think the whole festival thing is great and promotes filmmaking

its the thunderclap thing that I was commenting about

Thunderclap isn't about getting money for your project. It's about getting the words out about something - in this case the Feedback Film Festival.

By automatically posting the same message by a lot of people at the same time, it helps the message trend within social media. It could be a trending hash tag, or on Facebook the more people comment on something the more people get it on their news feeds. So it's all about bringing together more people so more people can see what you're doing.

There's 24 hours left now and it's at 56%.

Blog Entries

I wish you success, but I do wonder if a market actually exists? My main thought is that whilst your USP is guaranteed feedback, sometimes no feedback is the best response. There's some real shit out there - do you have the time, energy (and money) to sit through it and offer up critique?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I wish you success, but I do wonder if a market actually exists? My main thought is that whilst your USP is guaranteed feedback, sometimes no feedback is the best response. There's some real shit out there - do you have the time, energy (and money) to sit through it and offer up critique?
    At $35 minimum it's probably worth sitting through a few duds. Only people who are serious about film making are likely to cough up the entrance fee and if someone is that serious, then they deserve to be told their films are rubbish and why.

I enter BIAFF. It's about 1/3 the price guarantees feedback and there's a very good chance of a screening (I think last year 150 out of 270 entries were screened). Of course, it's open to amateurs only
    Tim

Blog Entries

Maybe you should start charging for your critiques Tim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Maybe you should start charging for your critiques Tim.
    Tricky. My reviews are worth less than what I receive for them already.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    At $35 minimum it's probably worth sitting through a few duds. Only people who are serious about film making are likely to cough up the entrance fee and if someone is that serious, then they deserve to be told their films are rubbish and why.

I enter BIAFF. It's about 1/3 the price guarantees feedback and there's a very good chance of a screening (I think last year 150 out of 270 entries were screened). Of course, it's open to amateurs only
    i have the luxury of knowing in advance that my films are rubbish

i pay the entry fee, get told the film is rubbish, then blame it on a "fixed" judging process that favours the organizer's friends and family

works for me