Thread: How do I remove the rest of the background

Default How do I remove the rest of the background

In this scene?
    Please disregard the content, its just for fun
    I need to remove all but the orange band, and cant for my life find a way to do it.
    The transparent part is a green shower curtain
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its called a garbage matte. Most software that allows keying also has 4, 8 or 16 point garbage mattes that you can use to draw around the green screen and basically trashes everything outside it.

If you need to keep the orange band then you may need to apply several mattes in order to make enough shapes to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Its called a garbage matte. Most software that allows keying also has 4, 8 or 16 point garbage mattes that you can use to draw around the green screen and basically trashes everything outside it.

If you need to keep the orange band then you may need to apply several mattes in order to make enough shapes to cover it.
    thank you David!
    i did actually know that, but the scene is rater long, so it is a key frame nightmare.
    What I don't understand is the masks in all keyers in AP.
    those seems to be perfect for this sort of thing, if they did act as Garbage mattes.
    using the free form will even track the outline of what you apply it to, but it is only a "shape", and not a "key".
    i have successfully marked up the moving Orange band, and it did track the edges, but it does not key out anything.
    i also miss the ability to invert selection in many of the keyers.

Quote Originally Posted by soft666 View Post
    thank you David!
    i did actually know that, but the scene is rater long, so it is a key frame nightmare.
    What I don't understand is the masks in all keyers in AP.
    those seems to be perfect for this sort of thing, if they did act as Garbage mattes.
    using the free form will even track the outline of what you apply it to, but it is only a "shape", and not a "key".
    i have successfully marked up the moving Orange band, and it did track the edges, but it does not key out anything.
    i also miss the ability to invert selection in many of the keyers.
    OK - how about going at this from another angle.

Can you use the orange to create another key? If so, take that key and invert it so it's getting rid of everything except the orange ribbon. Use that as an extra track on top of the original. the use a straight 4 way garbage matte to cut out the centre (get rid of the two sides) then overlay your ribbon on top of that resulting key.

So you'll have three layers:

1) The new background
    2) The centre green screen
    3) The keyed orange ribbon