Thread: Insurance?

Blog Entries

Default Insurance?

There's not really a relevant section in the "Post January 2014" structure to DD for me to post this question, so I guess here's as good as any.

I may be asked to film some interviews for a school I work at on a paid basis. This is going to be a one off or possibly occasional thing, not a new career, but I guess I ought to have at least Public Liability insurance in case a kid trips over a cable or something. Any recommendations or other advice?
    Tim

In Canada you can buy "commercial general liability insurance" from different providers - and you can specify short-term (with specific timeframes) or long term - companies also have bundled insurance for filmmakers that include equipment insurance but my guess is that you are just looking for the $5 million liability in case little Newt sticks his tongue in the light socket

Blog Entries

Join BECTU. Then you can get outrageously cheap public liability insurance.

https://www.bectu.org.uk/benefits-services/pli

4. Default

I get my gear insurance and PL through Aaduki who seem ok (never made a claim). Getting PL is a good idea even if you only do one gig a year!
    Cheers
    Rob

In Canada electronics are cheap and insurance is expensive - it's cheaper for me to get a crook to steal my camera and make my movie than to insure my equipment - if it's the same in UK then just stick to the liability insurance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    There's not really a relevant section in the "Post January 2014" structure to DD for me to post this question, so I guess here's as good as any.

I may be asked to film some interviews for a school I work at on a paid basis. This is going to be a one off or possibly occasional thing, not a new career, but I guess I ought to have at least Public Liability insurance in case a kid trips over a cable or something. Any recommendations or other advice?
    Tim, if this is part of your employment with the school, why would you need insurance cover? Wouldn't this be covered by their liability insurance?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Tim, if this is part of your employment with the school, why would you need insurance cover? Wouldn't this be covered by their liability insurance?
    I'm self-employed rather than on the payroll - although it's a good point and worth checking.
    Tim