Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Issue

1. Default Video Issue

I shot this with a 5D Mark III and I notice their like a wave going threw the footage, I just wondering what that would be, and can I fix it? It was shot from a UAV platform.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...VideoIssue.mp4

Blog Entries

Rolling shutter effect. The platform is moving side to side in the wind, the imae is being scanned top to bottom. There are various plugins to help remove this in post.

Tim

This is typical of GoPro footage on a UAV. The consensus seems to be that you need to add ND filters to the GoPro in order to slow the shutter speed down. Personally I've tried it and while it makes some difference, it doesn't fix it completely and we never use the GoPro footage in commercial aerial work unless there is zero wind and almost zero forward movement!

It's not fixable unfortunately.

I watched the explanatory video but something doesn't make sense - the sample video doesn't involve a lot of right-left panning but the effect is very pronounced nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I watched the explanatory video but something doesn't make sense - the sample video doesn't involve a lot of right-left panning but the effect is very pronounced nonetheless
    The problem is that this is not the normal rolling shutter effect because the camera isn't moving, it's rolling shutter 'within' the frame (intra) due to the high speed that the GoPro is reading the sensor.

The only way to slow it down is with an ND filter, but even though we have one fitted, it's still not a perfect solution. There are no software solutions for intra frame rolling shutter effects, they only work on inter frame rolling shutter, where the entire frame is skewed.

6. Default

Oh Ok, I shot this with a Canon 5D Mark III not a Gopro. I had the shutter speed set at 1/1000 and my F8.0 and ISO was 100 I believe. With a Cinestyle profile on the camera.

Then you have a very similar problem! Your shutter speed was way too high. You need to buy a Vari-ND filter and shoot at 2x frame rate (180 deg shutter), so be down at something like 1/50 for shutter speed.

If you still have the problem then your gimbal is not steady.

What gimbal are you using? Does it have dual fixtures? One for the camera and one for the lens?

8. Default

I've using a S1000 with a Zenmuse Z15 5D Gimbal with the 24mm lens. Nothing to fancy, I do a lot of surveying for the oilfield, I use settings about 1/1000, and Aperture of F8 and ISO is mostly 100 depending on clouds mostly cause I point right down. I set the focus to Infinite. But for filming what is the best setting I should be looking at?

Since I'm also using the Z15 then you really shouldn't have any problems, but for filming you really need to slow your frame rate down to 1/50 using ND filters, with the most convenient being an 8 stop vari-ND.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Since I'm also using the Z15 then you really shouldn't have any problems, but for filming you really need to slow your frame rate down to 1/50 using ND filters, with the most convenient being an 8 stop vari-ND.
    So what settings do you use on the camera along with the ND filter, for film work I watched some of your stuff its really good. I'm sorry I had no experience with DSLR's before I got into UAV's, my experience is flying helicopters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast