Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you know anyone who still uses audio cassette tapes?

Default Do you know anyone who still uses audio cassette tapes?

I know most people have moved on to cds for listening to audio (and mp3s) however there are still people that listen to music on audio cassette tapes. Even tech companies are catching on to this, such as Tascam that offers a cd recorder/cassette tape recorder combo unit- http://kingdomincblog.com/a-cd-recorder-for-ministries-that-use-cassette-tapes-cds/

Do you personally still listen to cassette tapes, or know someone who does?

I don't even know of anybody that still listens to CDs

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I don't even know of anybody that still listens to CDs
    Too true. Although I know some people that still like to own a cd album of an artist, it is noticeable that demand for audio/music in physical form is on the decline. In the UK there is only one high street retailer dedicated to the sale of cds and dvds which is evidence enough.

Blog Entries

I still own CDs so that when Apple goes bust I will still be able to hear my favourite music. Also, there is an audible difference between a CD and an MP3 through a decent music system, no matter what the marketing people say.

As for cassette tapes... Found some when moving house a couple of years ago, played them (on a good system) and promptly put them and the cassette player in the skip.

At the time, it was a cheap and convenient way to record music and have it portable. Now, there are far better, clearer and more convenient systems.

Depends what you mean by 'use'?... I still have an audio cassette player connected to my system, and still use it occasionally to digitise old cassettes that contain audio not available elsewhere (usually old family stuff....but sometimes old recordings of radio broadcasts).
    Using modern 'digital' noise reduction techniques, it's possible to get better results than from the Dolby B or C analogue noise reduction used on the original tapes....
    Still not very good though, by modern standards!

Quote Originally Posted by gusruel View Post
    I know most people have moved on to cds for listening to audio (and mp3s) however there are still people that listen to music on audio cassette tapes. Even tech companies are catching on to this, such as Tascam that offers a cd recorder/cassette tape recorder combo unit- http://kingdomincblog.com/a-cd-recorder-for-ministries-that-use-cassette-tapes-cds/

Do you personally still listen to cassette tapes, or know someone who does?
    I still have bloody tons of the things... Along with vinyl, cd's and mini disc... Who remembers those ?

One day I will get around to digitising them ... Just hope they haven't turned into a pile of rust by then
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Do it soon!
    Audio tape and the recording does deteriorate with time. Some brands (early BASF and Maxell) are notorious for having the coating fall off the base after a few years!
    Vinyl and CDs I would keep as I like the sound and audio quality and as for Mini-discs, I've just given away boxes of discs to a friend who still uses them for portable music. They were very under-rated and were quickly overtaken by MP3 which is a pity. I liked Mini-Discs..

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Do it soon!
    Audio tape and the recording does deteriorate with time. Some brands (early BASF and Maxell) are notorious for having the coating fall off the base after a few years!
    Vinyl and CDs I would keep as I like the sound and audio quality and as for Mini-discs, I've just given away boxes of discs to a friend who still uses them for portable music. They were very under-rated and were quickly overtaken by MP3 which is a pity. I liked Mini-Discs..

i keep meaning to Rob... some of the stuff on cassette is quite sentimental .... demo tapes of bands i recorded with etc. its just so laborious with everything having to be done in real time.
    agree with you on mini disc they were great for chopping bits about. even today, i know some pub performers prefer them for backing tracks.

i was never over keen on Maxell, TDK's were my prefered tape

classic ....

Last edited by enc; 06-04-2015 at 06:15 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

9. Default

I have several cassette decks. They are now used only for transferring to digital. I wouldn't dream of recording on one using it for casual listening.

I have a Walkman wm-1 in a box in the basement - yes one of the first 200 units Sony made - it changed the world - I remember walking down the street listening to "paranoid" and thinking how awesome it was - good memories but clunky by today's standards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast