Thread: mxf converter

Default mxf converter

New to this forum could anyone recommend a good mxf file converter please.

Blog Entries

Could you be a bit more specific. For example are you trying to convert from mxf or to mxf.
    .MXF is just a container and tells us nothing of the codec of the media within. It may be the codec is fine and you simply need somethig that will put a new wrapper around it. Or you may need a different codec.
    What is the source of your file (eg camera, NLE etc ) and what do you need to do with it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit pedantic, but there is no simple answer to the question as stated.
    Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim my camera is a canon xf300 and I am editing with Pinnacle studio 18 ultimate the files will actually open in studio but take a long time it would be quicker if I was using mp4 or similar the final product is for dvd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tim my camera is a canon xf300
    Ahhh. There's your problem. The xf300 has 3 sensors rather than the single sensor of the xf100 and so it is trying to deal with three times as much information. You need to send me your xf300 and I'll send you my xf100 in exchange
    Of course, that's rubbish. The files produced are identical. Though hopefully colour information from the xf300 is better.

I have no issues with the mxf files straight off the camera (actually via the Canon XF utility so they are organised properly) in Sony Vegas although they do seem to struggle a little more than AVCHD. One of the reasons, and I suspect, the reason you are having problems is I tend to record at the maximum 50mbps which means the poor old PC is having to deal with quite a bit of data. You may find it better if you drop down to 35Mbps

However I would urge you not to convert these files (which are MPEG-2 and use 4:2:2 colour sub-sampling) to another format unless you go to DNxHD as you will be throwing away information. This information may not be immediately noticeable, but it will give you far more flexilbility if you do any grading/colour correction. it rather defeats the object of having a camera like yours.

I'm not sure if Pinnacle gives you this, but many NLEs allow you to edit with "proxy" files (a lower quality version of the footage) and then substitute the real McCoy for the final render.
    Tim