Thread: Trying to figure out Sony Vegas Home movie 11

Default Trying to figure out Sony Vegas Home movie 11

Thanks to those that helped me out with your responses to my last post. I had to put things on hiatus but recently got Sony Vegas 11. Immediately I notice that my preview is choppy, skipping frames...can this be fixed. I have hopes of multiple screens to show me multitracking music but I'll never be able to synch things up if I can't see a smooth preview (every frame) . i did search through the tools but was at a loss. I'm new to video editing and very overwhelmed by this new program vs WMM or the wondershare program. Is there a book/ manual available to buy?
    thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Thanks to those that helped me out with your responses to my last post. I had to put things on hiatus but recently got Sony Vegas 11. Immediately I notice that my preview is choppy, skipping frames...can this be fixed. I have hopes of multiple screens to show me multitracking music but I'll never be able to synch things up if I can't see a smooth preview (every frame) . i did search through the tools but was at a loss. I'm new to video editing and very overwhelmed by this new program vs WMM or the wondershare program. Is there a book/ manual available to buy?
    thanks
    You're a bit unspecifc about exactly what product you have but basically playback in the preview window is always a compromise between sync and quality.
    Vegas Pro (and Movie Studio) has a Preview Quality button above the Preview Window. Set this to one of the draft settings and playback will be a lot smoother. This is what I do for syncing when I have several streams or heavy FX (basically the more you are doing to the video the heavier the processing is). Another trick is to turn off any FX whilst you are concentrating on syncing - again there is a button above the preview window to the left of the Preview Qualitybutton, select "Select All" from the drop down next to the button and ensure the button itself is depressed.

When you've got the timing right, release the FX Bypass Button and change the Preview Quality to best for other editing aspects (Sharpening, Colour Correction, Grading etc)
    Tim

Another thing to note is this tip from Vegas Help. "If you want to emphasize frame rate during preview, right-click the Video Preview window and select Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback. When the command is not selected, video quality is emphasized, and the frame rate will be reduced if necessary."
    You can read more on what TimS advises in this SCS KB Article.

If you have the Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, not Pro, it does not have the FX Bypass (Split Screen View) button to the left of the PQ button, but the linked article mentions a workaround.

And if you do have the Movie Studio Platinum version, amazon seems to have Steve Grisetti's Muvipix.com Guides on various MSP versions still available ATM.
    The Vegas manuals are on the SCS site. You'll find the Help files and "What's This Help" buttons in the main window of the software.

Thank you both, I do have the Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum v11. I messed around with the preview quality button and it might have made it a little better bit still quite choppy. I'm kind of surprised that this is the case being that Windows Movie Maker & the Wondershare program had no preview issues. It seems like an incredibly important and needed feature. I did this video with wondershare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rm77RdjQdo and I had no preview issues until I tried to do 2 pictures over the main video (another video I've never finished & hoped to start on Vegas) then it got all wonky. I don't see how I'll be able to synch anything in this Vegas program. I currently have it on my desktop 4g Ram/ quad core...is this also the same with the adobe subscription editor?
    I'm going to read that article you posted vkmast, thanks for that & I'll check out those manuals. I hope to get a handle on this over the summer, I have some work related projects I'd like to make so I would imagine I'll be asking a lot of questions. Thanks for being so helpful!

Blog Entries

I'm very surprised that you are experiencing this. What is the source footage? (ie where is it from, what codec does it use, what resolution, bit rate etc). It might be worth checking you have set your project properties to match your source footage.
    Tim

I'm recording with a Tascam Dr V1HD, it shoot at 720p and is in the .mov format. My settings on the camera are Sound- wav 24bit, Sample Rate 44.1kHz, Image Size HD/0.9. I just downloaded the manual (I'll need to buy a truck load of ink to print it) so thanks for that link! I've always done pretty well with manuals. I'm getting my laptop back today hopefully & should be able to explore more once it's on there. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

A quick look at the specs for that device indicates that it uses the MPEG4 SP codec. Acording to Wikipedia Simple Profile (SP)

"Simple Profile is mostly aimed for use in situations where low bit rate and low resolution are mandated by other conditions of the applications, like network bandwidth, device size etc. Examples are mobile phones, some low end video conferencing systems, electronic surveillance systems etc. "

I'm no expert, but this suggests to me a codec designed for high compression and low bit rates - the opposite of what you want for editing (although perfectly fine for just playing back). You may want to consider transcoding to another codec. But i'm bowoing out here as i'm making suppositions based on little knowledge and I don't want to be guilty of leading you up he garden path.
    Tim