Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt at a hyperlapse video

Default My first attempt at a hyperlapse video

Hi all,

I would like to get your feedback on a hyperlapse (or at least partly a hyperlapse) video that I created for Greenpeace.
    It's my first attempt at creating a hyperlapse. Let me know what you think about it.
    For example, the hyperlapse section was shot using two Nikon d800s so the resolution was huge and here's my question: Is it fine to zoom, pan and tilt in post or is that cheating?
    What could I do better next time?

https://youtu.be/23hzf_j3d_U

//Edward

As soon as you get to the part where you are filming the action it works very well - it is like an ant colony where there is some sort of problem detected and all the ants work together to sort things out - really well done - it shows the purely mechanical reaction of "the man" when someone does something a little different

The intro should give us a chance to connect positively with the character - but he just comes across as another soccer hoodlum who took a break from throwing garbage cans onto the field in order to cause trouble elsewhere - maybe show him kissing a small infant before he leaves the house. It could go like this ...

Lars is looking at himself in the bathroom mirror - steeling himself for the events ahead - Hilda calls from downstairs "come on Lars - breakfast is ready" - Lars closes his eyes, places both hands on the mirror, leans forward, looks down and says "on my way" - then repeats it to himself in a whisper "on my way"

cut to the breakfast table where little Ingrid is making smiley faces with her froot loops - Hilda and Lars look knowingly at each other

Hilda: "it's too dangerous, think about Ingrid"
    Lars: "I am thinking about Ingrid - all the little Ingrids all around Sweden - somebody has to do something!"

cut to the front door - Hilda smiles and gives Lars a thermos of coffee - you can't save the world without a good Swedish coffee! - they kiss briefly - Lars gives their dog Sven a pat on the head and walks away

cut to Lars driving to the scene, to the sound of Kurt and Venke's "when the stars go blue"

now your audience is ready for the action
    Last edited by zamiotana; 05-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    As soon as you get to the part where you are filming the action it works very well - it is like an ant colony where there is some sort of problem detected and all the ants work together to sort things out - really well done - it shows the purely mechanical reaction of "the man" when someone does something a little different

The intro should give us a chance to connect positively with the character - but he just comes across as another soccer hoodlum who took a break from throwing garbage cans onto the field in order to cause trouble elsewhere - maybe show him kissing a small infant before he leaves the house. It could go like this ...

Lars is looking at himself in the bathroom mirror - steeling himself for the events ahead - Hilda calls from downstairs "come on Lars - breakfast is ready" - Lars closes his eyes, places both hands on the mirror, leans forward, looks down and says "on my way" - then repeats it to himself in a whisper "on my way"

cut to the breakfast table where little Ingrid is making smiley faces with her froot loops - Hilda and Lars look knowingly at each other

Hilda: "it's too dangerous, think about Ingrid"
    Lars: "I am thinking about Ingrid - all the little Ingrids all around Sweden - somebody has to do something!"

cut to the front door - Hilda smiles and gives Lars a thermos of coffee - you can't save the world without a good Swedish coffee! - they kiss briefly - Lars gives their dog Sven a pat on the head and walks away

cut to Lars driving to the scene, to the sound of Kurt and Venke's "when the stars go blue"

now your audience is ready for the action
    Thanks for your feedback! I totally get your point that I should give the audience a chance to connect more with the character in the intro. Instead of only capturing the action, I will definitely consider, for future work, to create a short scene from an ordinary day in my hero's life before all the action kicks off.

That's it - my scenario was a bit over-the-top, but I think you get the idea that we should be able to connect with the protagonist first before jumping in to a situation

Blog Entries

I love zam's script and he makes a good point.
    Personally I'd lose all the shaky footage - or use it only where there's confrontation so it looks like, well the sort of news footage where the cameraman is running away from/towards and explosion/shots or just a fight with the police.
    Tim

To answer your question. Yes, it's fine to zoom, Pan, Tilt etc. in post. It's not cheating it's called editing.
    When you have still of the size of a D800 you can really utilise the large resolution without loosing image quality. Remember this only works with stills. The D800 in movie mode only shoots at 1080 resolution.

I was disappointed to see that the opening was all out of focus. I know it was 1:00am but it didn't look good. Good idea but didn't work. I liked the transition shots from being zoomed in on the roof to being on the ground. I think once the DA had started the rest of the video was quite good.

The others make a good point about the human side of the story, I think the audience really engage more with the video. Hollywood has known this since it's inception, every Hollywood movie, no matter what it's subject, is always about the people.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    To answer your question. Yes, it's fine to zoom, Pan, Tilt etc. in post. It's not cheating it's called editing.
    When you have still of the size of a D800 you can really utilise the large resolution without loosing image quality. Remember this only works with stills. The D800 in movie mode only shoots at 1080 resolution.

I was disappointed to see that the opening was all out of focus. I know it was 1:00am but it didn't look good. Good idea but didn't work. I liked the transition shots from being zoomed in on the roof to being on the ground. I think once the DA had started the rest of the video was quite good.

The others make a good point about the human side of the story, I think the audience really engage more with the video. Hollywood has known this since it's inception, every Hollywood movie, no matter what it's subject, is always about the people.
    Thanks for your feedback! Point taken about the opening sequence . To explain a little why I did it was basically to visualise that he wasn't seeing clearly because of the early hour, but more importantly the lighting was so low that the GoPro footage was all noisy. So by blurring the image I got rid of a lot of the noise, which didn't look good either. With that being said, I hear you and appreciate your honest feedback.

Hi Tim!

By shaky footage, you mean the GoPro footage used in the zoom about 1.03 in the video? Or is there more shaky footage you would like to get rid of?

//Edward

I'm not qualified to give any criticism, & I can see where the others are coming from about the story but all in all I really enjoyed watching this. Once it goes hyperlapse it's really cool.
    Rock On!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by berra_b View Post
    Hi Tim!

By shaky footage, you mean the GoPro footage used in the zoom about 1.03 in the video? Or is there more shaky footage you would like to get rid of?

//Edward
    No I mean all the hand held wobble cam stuff at the beginning. In fact almost all of it except the hyper lapse stuff. I'm imagining this projected on a 10ft screen. It'll make most people ill
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast