Thread: Gaming Video; Testing Softwares; Advice on Editing

Default Gaming Video; Testing Softwares; Advice on Editing

Wow, huge title. I had to format our hard drive recently and am still getting programs reinstalled. I recorded a test video of game play and recorded webcam stuff too. The softwares worked correctly (after one failed attempt) and I just did some quick editing. Ignoring the content of the video (I wasn't focused on that as much as making sure it worked, so the content is poor), I could use some advice on the editing part of it. The original recording was about fifteen minutes long and I cut a bunch of uninteresting crap out of it, making the final video under five minutes long. Things I would like you to focus on:
    1. Intro. Is this transition from info screen to game play good?
    2. Cutting/Splicing. I cut sections out of the video (duh) and slammed what was left together (with two exceptions). Did I execute this well, or should I choose a method that makes it a bit more obvious?
    3. Webcam Location. This game has a lot going on on-screen and the viewer may wish to focus on any area of the screen at a given time (mirrors, road, navigation system). Did I choose a good location for the webcam, or am I drawing too much attention to it?
    4. Webcam Size. Should I crop more webcam video out and make the area it resided in smaller? Is it too small?
    5. Audio Levels. I had to turn webcam audio way down and game audio way up. The game audio is an issue within the game itself; there are actually mods to make the sounds louder. Should I turn the webcam recording level down? Also, did I get the two audio levels around where someone would want them to be?
    6. Outro. I replayed part of the video at the end as an outro and put some empty space between it and the rest of the video. Should I do anything with how much space is between them? Should I put something there in the blank space?
    7. Text. What should I do in terms of the text. It doesn't look too great to me, but I'm not sure on how I should improve it. More specifically, what fonts should I investigate and the sizes?
    8. Anything Else. Can you think of or did you find anything else you can provide help with?

link: https://youtu.be/RtYtD8d8WrY

Blog Entries

I'm afraid the answer to all of these is "it depends".
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve, who your audience is, whether you like it//

Quote Originally Posted by tridecagon View Post
    1. Intro. Is this transition from info screen to game play good?
    It depends. I thought it was appropriate, yes, and it didn't last too long.
    2. Cutting/Splicing. I cut sections out of the video (duh) and slammed what was left together (with two exceptions). Did I execute this well, or should I choose a method that makes it a bit more obvious?
    It depends. But as a general rule of thumb, use straight cuts between clips that occurs consecutively and transitions when there is s significant change in time (in a film this might just be a simple fade throughblack, but in a game the sky's the limit.
    3. Webcam Location. This game has a lot going on on-screen and the viewer may wish to focus on any area of the screen at a given time (mirrors, road, navigation system). Did I choose a good location for the webcam, or am I drawing too much attention to it?
    I'd have preferred to see it lower left or right, but this may interfere with what is needed to be seen in the play area.
    4. Webcam Size. Should I crop more webcam video out and make the area it resided in smaller? Is it too small?
    It felt about right to me
    5. Audio Levels. I had to turn webcam audio way down and game audio way up. The game audio is an issue within the game itself; there are actually mods to make the sounds louder. Should I turn the webcam recording level down? Also, did I get the two audio levels around where someone would want them to be?
    Seemed OK to me
    6. Outro. I replayed part of the video at the end as an outro and put some empty space between it and the rest of the video. Should I do anything with how much space is between them? Should I put something there in the blank space?
    Entirely up to you.Felt OK to me.
    7. Text. What should I do in terms of the text. It doesn't look too great to me, but I'm not sure on how I should improve it. More specifically, what fonts should I investigate and the sizes?
    They do look a bit superimposed.
    Several thoughts:
    1. Be consistent. You can use two or three different styles if there is reason (on a document these might be "heading" "hub heading" "main text". A mix of typefaces, sizes, colours never looks good.
    2. Give the text a drop shadow and/or an outline to "lift" if from the screen.
    3. Consider using colours that appear in the image (though obviously not the "main" colours or you won't see the text.
    4. Consider putting the text on a "lower third" (one of hose strips that appears at the bottom of news programmes) or against a rectangular background, possibly at less than 100% opacity.
    5. Consider addig an audio "stab" when text appears and disappears
    8. Anything Else. Can you think of or did you find anything else you can provide help with?
    The text at around 40 secs is on screen for too long. As a rule of thumb, when you have ONLY text on a screen leave it there for long enough to read out loud one and a half times. This is long enough for most people to read but not so long as to frustrate.
    Watch the background for the webcam. you have a bright light (window) which is distracting (it draws the eye) to say nothing of the cat and person wandering around.

Hope this is of help.

Out of interest - who would watch this?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    <snip>
    They do look a bit superimposed.
    Several thoughts:
    1. Be consistent. You can use two or three different styles if there is reason (on a document these might be "heading" "hub heading" "main text". A mix of typefaces, sizes, colours never looks good.
    2. Give the text a drop shadow and/or an outline to "lift" if from the screen.
    3. Consider using colours that appear in the image (though obviously not the "main" colours or you won't see the text.
    4. Consider putting the text on a "lower third" (one of hose strips that appears at the bottom of news programmes) or against a rectangular background, possibly at less than 100% opacity.
    5. Consider addig an audio "stab" when text appears and disappears
    Thanks. I'll think of something for my next test; I'm considering number 2.

The text at around 40 secs is on screen for too long. As a rule of thumb, when you have ONLY text on a screen leave it there for long enough to read out loud one and a half times. This is long enough for most people to read but not so long as to frustrate.
    Will keep this in mind.

Watch the background for the webcam. you have a bright light (window) which is distracting (it draws the eye) to say nothing of the cat and person wandering around.
    When I start recording for public view, I plan on being alone when I do (no people wondering around, no TV noises). And at one point in the (hopefully) near future, I want to use a green screen to both block any light and objects behind me, and to reduce the amount of space the webcam video takes up.

Hope this is of help.

Out of interest - who would watch this?
    I plan on recording more games than just ETS 2. I want to target other gamers who wish to see new approaches to how games can be played or to learn new ideas/concepts for achieving certain goals/tasks1, 2.

and to show the world how big of an idiot I am
    2. I may have phrased that a bit awkwardly.